Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeHermit crab?
Two Tanks
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 328
Votes: 13
female usa
Hermit crabs are non-aquatic, but I have two in an aquarium and don't know where else I would ask. Last week, one of mine, Creepy Crawler, shed his old exoskeleton. When I picked him up, it sort of all fell out in bits and peaces - thought he was dead at first, until I realized he was still back up in his/her shell.
He/she hid out for the first several days, but is starting to come out a bit more - sort of a pale pink color. Is there anything in particular I should do for him until his new exoskeleton completely hardens? He has a smaller friend in the tank (a ten gallon) named Peek-a-Boo. If anyone keeps hermits, any advice will be appreciated.
Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2008 20:18Profile PM Edit Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
I don't keep hermits, but in the mean time before someone who does keep them comes by, I'll give you my two cents. Hermit crabs require calcium to build a shell, which I'm sure you're probably aware. A calcium source will be necessary. I'm not sure if hermits are the type to eat their old shell for calcium, but that can be another calcium source as well. Just try to leave it alone for now, as many crustaceans tend to be more secretive while their shells are soft.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2008 22:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Two Tanks
-----
Big Fish
female usa
He/she seems to be doing OK. I gave them their usual crab food (not the pellet kind, but flake and some dryed shrimp),some romaine lettuce and a little peice of orange. They have a calcium block, but don't seem to pay it much attention. The crab seems to fill up his shell a bit more now, but he/she is in the largest size the pet store sells (a big hermit). The other night, it looked like Creepy Crawler and his friend, Peek-a-boo were duking it out - leaned back in their shells with their feet/claws touching. I moved them away from one another. Peek-a-boo is a lot smaller and very shy, so it surprised me. Unfortunately, I tossed his old shell out not knowing what else to do with it.
Post InfoPosted 03-Feb-2008 05:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Krunchy
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 23
male usa
the best thing you can do is just make sure your crab food is high in calcium... and make sure you have extra shells in your tank in case he wants to upgrade to a new bigger model!

and always remember inverts are fond of there old skin (lots of goodies inside) let them have at it for at least a few days!!!
Post InfoPosted 04-Feb-2008 07:08Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Two Tanks
-----
Big Fish
female usa
Next time this happens, I will make sure to hang on to at last part of his old skin. I noticed, last night, that he has been chewing on his calcium block. He has a couple of extraa shells that are his size - seems a lot more active today. Thank you for your help!
Post InfoPosted 04-Feb-2008 18:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies