Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeIodine
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
Hello all,
I have been keeping Red Cherry Shrimp for a little over a month now and I read and was told that iodine additions is a great way to boost the health and etc of shrimp. My true questions was:
what kind of Iodine additives are safe for freshwater (as only kens marine iodine is found at my LFS), and if not could i use some kind of medical iodine? and if so how much would one use in say a 15 gallon tank?

I have seen many iodine products and read of how they help increase calcium absorbtion and dissolved calciums and hard metal readily available for developing shrimp and snails, but how would one acquire a freshwaer safe one or are the salt water/marine additives safe for freshwater?

Thank You for reading and I your replies will be ever so appreciated!

-Brandon

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 31-May-2008 19:14Profile PM Edit Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
I found this product on aquabid:
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?waterc&1213224058

here is the description:
"Description Normally you will find this product in the "water conditioners" section. Every once in a while I post it in "snails", just to let people know we have it. This is Karma Farm's World Famous (it really is!!) Snail Conditioning Milk! One of our most popular products from the Karma Farm workshop! Snail Conditioning Milk Snail Conditioning Milk replaces every single snail essential element that gets used up quickly in the water, plus adds easily absorbed probiotic color enhancers. Snail Conditioning Milk is NOT a watered down commercial product. It is a thick milky formula that contains rich clays, 4 types of calcium from 2 sources, iodine, all essential minerals and trace minerals, plus probiotic color enhancers-- 2 pigments; rose pigment enhances reds, pinks and oranges, black pigment intensifies blues and violets!! Most people use calcium and iodine for their snails, but this often isn't enough. Snails NEED minerals!! When you routinely use calcium and iodine and you KNOW your pH is good but your snails STILL get shell damage...... Snail Milk is the answer! Snail Conditioning Milk is COMPLETE. Snail Milk Benefits: 3 rich, thick imported mineral clays, 4 types of calcium, stronium, iodine, all minerals & trace minerals, molybdenum, natural marine extracts, light buffers, anastaxin, probiotic color enhancers.... rose pigment and black pigment. Snail Conditioning Milk REALLY WORKS!! It is safe snd good for all snails, most shrimp, and neutral or hard water fish (guppies, all livebearers, African cichlids, etc.). If you are using Snail Milk with soft water fish you will need to cut your dose in half. DO NOT USE WITH SOFT WATER SHRIMP! Snail Milk is an addition to your regular snail maintenance, NOT a replacement for it. You will still need to keep your pH up, avoid overpopulation, and do your water changes. Remember..... Snail Milk will prevent ALL damage due to mineral depletion but it cannot prevent problems caused by overpopulation (hormone overload) such as shell gaps and growth lines. If these are the problems you have, take care of the overpopulation problem FIRST, then use the snail milk. Once the hormones are gone, Snail Milk WILL heal those gaps! Snail Milk is available in 3 sizes: 2oz (lasts 3 months in a 20 gallon tank w/ heavy snail load or 7 months w/ light load) 4oz (lasts 7 months in a 20 gallon tank w/ heavy snail load or 14 months w/ light load) 8oz (lasts 14 months in a 20 gallon tank w/ heavy snail load or 28 months w/ light load) This auction is for a 2oz (small size) Snail Milk. Shipping is $3. Also see our website at www.karmafarmaquatics.net"

it is made for snails, but is says somewhere in that jumble that some shrimp are ok as well, would RCS and/or Glass/Ghost shrimp be ok with this also? I have an order of Spixis snails coming, so if this stuff will work then i might use it on them as well.

If not, could you reccomend a product that will work for RCS?

Post InfoPosted 31-May-2008 19:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
I'd be more inclined to feed them foods that are rich in iodine rather than add it directly to the water.

Do you feed much in the way of kelp products or other marine vegetation?

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 01-Jun-2008 07:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
no i do not... do you know where i could find products like these online? no lfs has any kelp foods taht i know of...

Post InfoPosted 01-Jun-2008 09:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
When I ordered my cherry shrimp from Arizona Gardens,
they also sent a bottle of Kent Marine Concentrated Iodine
along with instructions as to how much to use per gallon.
They were also most emphatic not to overdose.

If you check out their web Site:

http://www.azgardens.com/shrimpfactory.php
You will find the shrimp offered and at the end of the
list, you will find the Iodine that is recommended and
why.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 02-Jun-2008 00:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
Thanks Frank... i would not have found that other wise... do you use this? and if so how much do you dose? do you dose according to their guide?

1tsp per 50 gallons per week.

ie 1/4 tsp per 12-13g per week. is what i will be using as my shrimp tank is about 15gallons...

also dose anyone know how much this should cost? as my LFS has a tendency to have high mark ups on water additives and foods and if i would just be better off buying it at petco i probably will...

Post InfoPosted 02-Jun-2008 04:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
This was a couple of years ago and I don't remember the
exact dosage. I do remember that it was less than what
it says on the bottle. Give them a phone call and ask.
Tell them your tank capacity, and I'm sure anyone
who answers the phone can help.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 02-Jun-2008 05:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Gone_Troppo

----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 196
australia au-northernterritory
Its all listed on the page the Frank linked... they dose at 1/2 teaspoon per 25 gallons 1 time per month (not weekly) and charge 7.99 for an 8 ounce bottle. I have seen it at 3.99 on other online stores so shop around.

G_T

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Post InfoPosted 02-Jun-2008 06:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
this is exactly waht the link said:

"A small dose of Kent's Super Iodine to your freshwater aquarium with added Shrimp is extremely beneficial. Since this product is typically used in Saltwater aquaria and in dosages of 1 teaspoon per 50 gallons every week, our nursery uses just a 1/2 teaspoon per 25 gallons 1 time per month to aid in the health and development of strong shrimp, that goes for all invertebrates too! We have been dosing our pools with Iodine for a about a year and a half now and our shrimp are more healthy, more active, eager to breed, and have also noticed an increase in successful egg hatching as well, it will not harm your freshwater plants or other freshwater fish when used in this small trace amount."

it says they reccomned the sosage i stated before, but they use what troppo siad, but i will give them a call and ask them... they seem to have things priced a bit higher on most of their items, so i defiatley will shop arround...

Post InfoPosted 02-Jun-2008 07:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies