SubscribeLive Brine Shrimp
truestar

-----
Enthusiast
Young Pup
Kudos: 92
Votes: 147
male usa us-indiana
I know that most people only raise a batch of BBS if they have fry, but I was wondering if it's possible to raise them to adulthood and feed them live. I've heard that they lose their nutritional value after a few days, I've read that this is because they will eat themselves or something like that. If I was to feed them would they in turn keep some of the nutritional value? If so, what could I feed them, I've heard green water is good, but is there anything else? What size tank would I need to raise them? Any advice would be appreciated.
Post InfoPosted 16-Oct-2007 05:03Profile PM Edit Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
I've tried and found it difficult, but there are bound to be instructions somewhere online.

The nutritional value of a baby brine shrimp comes from the egg sac, which is used up within a day or so. If you fed them and grew them up, and gut-loaded them before you used them, they should be perfectly good food. I wouldn't use it as a staple (maybe, if you were feeding seahorses or something) but for some variety and wiggle factor they'd be fantastic

I've seen spirulina powder available for raising them, and heard of some people using yeast (no idea on the success of that, I'd be concerned about overdoing it). Green water should work.

I'd go for something between 5 and 10 gallons if you want a steady supply. When I've seen them in tanks in shops they've always had a fairly strong aeration system of some sort, but I don't recall and filtration. Perhaps just water changes? You might get lucky with a sponge filter, but then again, you might just suck in all the babies and eggs.

I'd love to hear how you get on, I've always wondered if anyone has managed to do it successfully.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 16-Oct-2007 10:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Krunchy
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 23
male usa
this article is short but gives a good base of information.. I hope it helps!

http://www.thekrib.com/Food/brine-raising.html
Post InfoPosted 16-Oct-2007 11:34Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
truestar

-----
Enthusiast
Young Pup
Kudos: 92
Votes: 147
male usa us-indiana
Thanks. I'll probably try this at least once and see how it goes. I'll be sure to come back and tell you how it went.
Post InfoPosted 16-Oct-2007 15:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies