Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeLive Fresh Water Muscles????
oscars_R_great
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 5
Votes: 1
male uk
i bought some live fresh water muscles from my fish monger and was wondering if its possable to put some in my fish tank???? its a tropical set up water temp is at 27o C

thanks
Post InfoPosted 25-Sep-2006 19:38Profile PM Edit Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
EditedEdited by sham
Unless you know the exact species it's generally not a good idea. Alot of them use fish as a host for their offspring leaving little sores and ich like spots on the fish that never go away. Large concentrations in a tank could potentially lead to fish death. Unless you know the species and how they reproduce it could put your fish in danger.
Post InfoPosted 26-Sep-2006 02:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
dmarkham0117
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 18
Votes: 1
male usa
I have one fresh water muscle in a planted tank at my work. I am sure this is a "NO NO", but I aquired the muscle from a local lake...It turned out to be a Maple Leaf muscle/clam. It has been living; apparently with no problems for about 4 months now. They are filter feeders...so I feel like it is doing some good in the tank by removing some detritus. Definately do some research though to figure out what species you have. Not sure why you got them, but the one I have doesn't do much. I usually see it open (about and 1/8 of an inch) filtering water...but it doesn't move around at all!
Post InfoPosted 27-Sep-2006 04:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies