Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeMagical Snails!
JBennett181
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 46
Votes: 2
male usa
ok i have a mystery and wondering if anyone can solve it. i got the first batch of fish for this tank on the 26th of december and the 2nd on the 29th. in the first i got two catfish and 10 danios, in the 2nd i got 3 mollys and 3 white skirt tetras, and 2 days ago(the 9th of january) i found a lone snail. this perplexed me and my brother, our guess was they just got put in a bag without us noticing. but it got alot more interesting when we found 3 more snails today(11th of january). i dont think they are mystery snails or trumpets, they have a blue/black shell and are about the size of a nail head more or less. what kind are they, and how did they get there? is it possible one snail can pump out 3 in 2 days? (on the bright side i dont have to pay for snails)

i like feesh
Post InfoPosted 12-Jan-2008 03:48Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
JBennett181
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 46
Votes: 2
male usa
As soon as i finished typing my brother found a 5th snail. crazy

i like feesh
Post InfoPosted 12-Jan-2008 03:52Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
it depends on if you are over feeding.. snail populations will boom and you likely got an egg or a few that were knocked off the glass when the LFS guy was getting the fish for you (or it was floating from before) anyways good luck with those snails!

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 12-Jan-2008 03:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
REMOVE THEM NOW!!!!

IMO of course! But i hate these guys as they multiply like crazy! They are most likely pond "Pest" snails, and will multiply like at a rate of 20 per week per snail! Just an estimation of course

Good luck, and make sure that you remove them if you do have another bottom feeder, which you do. If you do want them, then dont overfeed, and then youll be fine.

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 12-Jan-2008 05:57Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Gaia
----------
Fingerling
Kudos: 25
Votes: 30
belgium
It depends how big your tank is, but if it is large enough tou can add some botia to keep them under control.
I also think they are some kind of pest snails so better get rid of them as soon as possible.
Post InfoPosted 12-Jan-2008 16:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Gilraen Took
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 30
Votes: 0
female usa
They wont multiply like crazy if you aren't overfeeding. I've got some in my planted tank and there are never many of them.

[url=http://dragcave.ath.cx/viewdragon/bNFR][/url]
Post InfoPosted 14-Jan-2008 19:33Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
My snails multiplied like crazy because i feed once a day, and usually with some algae wafers. The pleco was not eating the wafers for the longest time, and the snails would get to it eventually, allowing for a lot of egglaying. I guess you could call that "Overfeeding" but now my tank pretty much cleans out what is left, and my MTS eats the leftovers, rather than the pest snails.

I reccomend, actually, to get some MTS which hide in the substrate all day and arent as visible as pest snails, during the day, and are reasonably larger. They will aerate your substrate too. These are my favorite type of snail, along with the ramshorn and then the apple snail.

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 14-Jan-2008 23:09Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies