Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeMalaysian Trumpet Snails All Heading To Surface
_wendy_
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 164
Votes: 64
female uk
what is this a sign of. i know a while ago i read somewhere that if all the snails start heading to the surface there is a big problem, but i cant remember what that problem was.

any thoughts??
Post InfoPosted 28-Mar-2006 10:02Profile PM Edit Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
If they all come out of the substrate and head up the tank during the day then you might have a water quality problem. Either lack of O2, too much CO2, or something like ammonia and nitrites. Best to do a water test and increase aeration or turn off CO2 if your running any. If you still find nothing wrong and they are still all going for the water line do a waterchange or 2.

At night when the lights go out trumpets do all come out and wander around the glass. They are nocturnal so if they are out at night don't worry about it but if they are all out during the day there's probably something wrong.
Post InfoPosted 28-Mar-2006 12:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
_wendy_
----------
Enthusiast
female uk
thanks you. hubby did water change last night, then before work this morning he noticed several fish looking distressed. when i checked fish seemed ok, but loads of snails were at surface of water and rest heading upwards. light was off, but due to come on. will get him to test water parameters when he gets in. we arent running any co2
Post InfoPosted 28-Mar-2006 12:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
If everything was upset or acting odd after a water change I would question the safety of doing another one if things are off. You should also test the tapwater and see if something has changed. It happens fairly frequently and has cost people their entire tanks. One of the most common things is a change in ph either of the tapwater or the tank has increased or decreased for some reason and no longer matches the tapwater. One reason I don't use tapwater is because of the unpredictability. They don't tell you if they change their filtering methods or if someone makes a mistake and adds too much or too little of something.
Post InfoPosted 28-Mar-2006 13:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
_wendy_
----------
Enthusiast
female uk
thanks again, i will get him to test tank water and tap water when he gets in. just checked and all looking ok at the moment.
Post InfoPosted 28-Mar-2006 13:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
hembo666
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 288
Votes: 3
male uk
just an update (wendys hubby here)

i think it may be a lack of O2, the lights and air pump are on a timer together so i unplugged the lights and overuled the timer to switch on the air pumps, wendy wont know i did that but i thought adding more air could only be a good idea and keeping the lights off would keep the fish less active.

i will do a full check on the tap water when i get in and if thats ok i will do another water change, and possible step up the airation.

thanks, will keep you posted.
Post InfoPosted 28-Mar-2006 13:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
hembo666
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 288
Votes: 3
male uk
increased airation seems to have done the trick, all the fish have regained colour and the behavior is back to normal, and the snails are all back in the substrate
Post InfoPosted 28-Mar-2006 17:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies