SubscribeMalaysian Trumpet snails....
monkeyboy
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 375
Votes: 223
male usa
EditedEdited by monkeyboy
Couple questions... I keep seeing that people say to use Malaysian Trumpet snails in tanks with sand as they bury under the sand..

My question, is one, any ideas what they normally sell for in the US. 2nd how big are they? as I would be putting some in with a JD that is about 5 inches right now. and do they multiply and if so, how fast? thanks

and if they stay small, how quickly, if at all, would the JD eat them up?

Fish tanks are an expensive addiction
Post InfoPosted 19-Mar-2007 18:57Profile PM Edit Report 
Budzilla
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 197
Votes: 90
male usa
i havee no idea how much they would cost because i got mine with a plant package on aquabid as a an extra gift.
They are about an inch long full grown and they quickly reproduce. Also, they don't need to have any mates since they can reproduce asexually by themselves. They are very good for a sand substrate because they do the same job as an earthworm, and they stirup the substrated so that nothing bad can grow in it.

-Vincent
Post InfoPosted 19-Mar-2007 19:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
illustrae
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 876
female usa
You can usually get 25 or so on aquabid for pretty cheap. I think mine cost a total of $8, including shipping. They are livebearing snails, so they do not lay eggs... they simply multiply. How fast and by how many depends on available food. If you tend to overfeed and there's lots of leftover food in the tank, then you can see a population explosion very quickly, but if you feed in moderation, you can keep the snail population under control.
They are very hard-shelled snails, maxing out at less than an inch long. I do not think your JD will eat them, and in fact, it could be dangerous for the fish if it tried.

Hoping that there must be a word for everything I mean...
Post InfoPosted 20-Mar-2007 15:06Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
monkeyboy
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 375
Votes: 223
male usa
Well I found out i know someone who has some in a tank already, so I was just going to hijack a few from that tank.

And thats why I'm asking first. This JD has some awesome colors and is very active and strong and would hate to lose it.

Fish tanks are an expensive addiction
Post InfoPosted 20-Mar-2007 16:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies