Megil TelZeke

---------------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 890
Votes: 393
male usa us-northcarolina
EditedEdited 25-Jun-2010 01:18
'Ello all.

Need some help planning a move. I am moving from my apartment into a house about 10 minutes down the road. I have moved my tank before from Charlotte to Wilmington (4hr drive) so I know to drain the tank, save the water and soak the substrate/filter media in tank water.

Now for the issue. The tank has a booming population of RCS of all different sizes. The question is how do I save the smaller individuals? Should I just try and save the big ones and let the babies get mulled up in the substrate?

Edit: it is a 20g

Post InfoPosted 24-Jun-2010 23:48Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
What size tank is it? Unless it's rather large (I'm guessing over 30 gallons), I'd leave an inch or two of water in the bottom, or an inch over the top of the substrate - the babies should be able to survive a short trip in that space.

><>
Post InfoPosted 25-Jun-2010 01:02Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
EditedEdited 27-Jun-2010 15:42
I'd think the same. Try and suck up as many as you can with the water, and leave some moss and water in the tank. If you can prop one side up slowly when you suck out the water, most should wash down to the lower side.

It'll only work if it is a small tank with thick glass and without too much gravel, otherwise you are asking for trouble. 20 would be too big for me to risk that unless there was no gravel at all

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 27-Jun-2010 15:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Megil TelZeke

---------------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 890
Votes: 393
male usa us-northcarolina
Thanks Superlion and Callatya.

I'll give both a try syphoning some up and leaving a half inch or so above the substrate.

The aquarium is being moved July 10th I'll let you all know how it went. will post pics

Post InfoPosted 01-Jul-2010 00:29Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies