SubscribeMy Shrimp are disappearing...
manborg
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 125
Votes: 16
male usa
EditedEdited by Manborg
Could it be that my pencil fish are eating them??? Or my white clouds?
Post InfoPosted 06-Sep-2006 21:32Profile PM Edit Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
What kind of shrimp are they?

If they're small ghost shrimp, it is possible that the white clouds could be eating them (or at least harrassing them to death). In my 38 gallon, which is a white cloud and shrimp tank, the male white clouds tend to get a little rambunctious with the ghost shrimp and will actually kill and eat the smallest ones.

As far as the pencilfish go, I unfortunately can't tell you much about that as I've never had the pleasure of having them. Which specific species of pencil fish is it?

Also, it could be some sort of environmental influence. What size is the tank, what's the temp, and what are some of the chemistry parameters?

Joe Potato

Post InfoPosted 06-Sep-2006 22:36Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
manborg
----------
Hobbyist
male usa
hey Joey,

I am not sure what kind of pencil's they are. They aren't listed on this sight. They have a black stripe and red on their back tails...

as far as the tank parameters: 20 gallon long, 88 degrees, planted...

They are Red Cherry Shrimp...
Post InfoPosted 07-Sep-2006 01:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
88F seems quite warm. Most sites say they prefer around 75-78F and tolerate up to 82F. I know at least one person has had healthy shrimp that were breeding at 82F die when the temp was slowly moved up to 86F. I keep mine in an unheated tank so it's only about 70-72F. I would first lean towards the temp being your main problem and then suspect the white clouds.

Also white clouds are also cold water fish preferring their tank below 77F. They are quite hardy fish though and mine survived fine until I tried to move them to the tank that is kept above 85F. Pencilfish depending on species do prefer higher temps than the white clouds and shrimp but 88F seems high even for them. I very rarely keep any tanks over 80F because most fish don't prefer the water much warmer than that.
Post InfoPosted 08-Sep-2006 02:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
manborg
----------
Hobbyist
male usa
Sham,thank you so much for this insight. I am ashamed to say that I hadn't realized the temperature perameters of my tank were so off...

I will rectefy this problem this weekend...
Post InfoPosted 08-Sep-2006 19:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies