SubscribeNot quite an invert - frogs
Twilight
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 76
Votes: 92
female canada
Hi there,

So my bf has taken a fancy to the albino aquatic frogs in one of the lfs's. Has anyone kept these? Are they really totally aquatic?

Any info or opinions appreciated.

I vote! Do you?
Post InfoPosted 10-Nov-2007 19:04Profile PM Edit Report 
eat_ham222
-----
Banned
Kudos: 72
Votes: 16
male usa
BE CAREFULL!!!!!!!!!!

There are 2 common species of aquatic frogs out there, both of which are hardy little buggers. The ADF- African dwarf frog runs up a whopping 2 inches Max Size.. although most i see are about 3 really max. The other is a beheamoth of deadly delicous proportions.. the ACF the African clawed frog. Double check which your getting.. as the ACF is HUGE. Post more about what you want to know.. This is a species hammy actually knows about.. which is a first . Ask away .
Post InfoPosted 10-Nov-2007 19:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
African Dwarf Frogs (which are more commonly sold) are completley aquatic. they will eat fish foods and some frog/tadpole pellets. they are extremley safe with all fish and are actually pretty timid and stay towards the bottom and swim up occasionally for air. African clawed frogs however are more dangerous as they are know to be voracious and eat other things in the aquarium. They are much more carnivorous. if you are going to keep them in a species only tank you could do ACFs, but if putting them in a community tank definalty make sure they ared ADFs.

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 11-Nov-2007 05:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
OK,

Are you going to keep them with fish? I have heard that frogs and fish arent really meant for living together. I read somewhere a while back, that the frog's red-leg disease is very, very bad, and is quite contagious too! I have also heard that they transfer diseases from frog to fish, and vice-versa, easier than fish to fish. I cant find the post, but i know a very knowledgealbe member has said this.

But anyways, i agree with Ham because I have seen both, and the ACFs are larger than ADFs. Most LFS like petsmart though, sell the ADFs rather than ACFs.

Good luck and have fun with the frogs, and be careful! Red leg disease is lethal and conatagious if not treated with injection of antibiotics, or a water soluble one. Look in the hospital section and ctrl+F the frogs. There should be a post or two concerning this.

Have fun

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 11-Nov-2007 07:04Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Twilight
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 76
Votes: 92
female canada
Well, he was hoping to have it in with my fish. It would be in with 3 female bettas, 6 glowlight tetras, 5 cories (not sure which yet, but I'd love pandas), and probably 5 otos.

I have read about the dwarf claw frogs and definately don't want one of those! Are these the same as albinos, or do albino dwarfs actually exist?

I'll check on the illness aspect. I'm not introducing a frog just to have it wipe out my precious fish!

I vote! Do you?
Post InfoPosted 11-Nov-2007 23:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
pookiekiller12
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 633
Votes: 41
male usa
If it is albino, it is an acf, and will eventually see its tankmate as food. I have kept both acf and adf. I see no reason not to keep an adf in your tank, just ensure it gets food, a turkey baster may help, they love frozen blood worms.

My adf's never ate prepared fish food.
Post InfoPosted 12-Nov-2007 00:55Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies