SubscribePomacea canaliculata
daeraelle
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 16
Votes: 9
female usa
EditedEdited by daeraelle
I've been trying to find a pomacea canaliculata (channeled apple snail) EVERYWHERE. I've only found ONE place I can get them, which is a pond supply place here in Florida. It's a long drive and if I order to ship I have to spend $100. They're like, $.80 a piece, and I only want 3 or 4. Does anyone know where I can get these?

If you bought a mystery snail that "accidentally" is actually the voracious plant destroying giant apple snail and you woke up to a tank full of stubs to the gravel I would absolutely love to possess it. I love these things, and they will be perfect in with my goldfish as I don't have real plants in there anyway, otherwise the goldies would eat them.

Also, does anyone know the restrictions (if there are any) on these? I know they're listed as an aquatic pest in many states where they have been let loose.

I had one a while back in my 29g that had to find a new home when I saw the tank was about to burst. The petstore I got him from may be able to get me another one, but I'm always working when they're open. It's much easier for me to order one online.

I'd hate to have to settle for pomacea bridgesii. But I can find them everywhere. I guess I will if I can't find my precious giant. Is there really all that much of a difference in size?
Post InfoPosted 11-Nov-2007 03:00Profile PM Edit Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
apple snails are carried at petco. they cost arround 3.50$ i bought three a couple weeks ago and they aren't eating my plants at all.

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 11-Nov-2007 05:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
I am sure that you can find a bunch of them in the everglades, but i am not sure that it is legal to pick them up. Maybe there are a few pond shops near the everglades that sells them. Maybe the shipping would be a bit less? What store did you find them in?

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 11-Nov-2007 05:47Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
I wouldn't wild-collect anything. They could be carrying nasty parasites or diseases.
Post InfoPosted 11-Nov-2007 06:36Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
daeraelle
----------
Hobbyist
female usa
But there are different kinds of apple snails. I wanted a particular kind. I know the ones petland has here are pomacea bridgesii. These only eat dying parts of the plant, the species I'm after is a voracious plant eater and gets larger.

http://www.koiman.com/shipping.htm

This website sells a "Peruvian Giant Apple Snail" which I suspect is the kind I'm looking for, because it says they will clean every surface in the pond of ANY plant matter and they get around the size of a baseball. But it says on their "Shipping" page it's a minimum order of $100. I only want a few snails.
Post InfoPosted 11-Nov-2007 19:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
male usa
Yeah, Joe is right. I wouldnt pick anything up either for fear of an aligator... Also it is illlegal (i think) and there is a huge fine. Afterall it is a national park....I was just saying that a few shops near the everglades could have them...Hey daeraelle, where exactly in florida is it? Like north florida, west florida (naples), south florida, the keys?

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
Post InfoPosted 11-Nov-2007 19:48Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
daeraelle
----------
Hobbyist
female usa
I have no idea where in Florida the online shop is, but I'm in the north east corner of Florida, almost in Georgia. The last store I got this particular snail in was here on the Island, they're a small business, so who knows where they got it.

Actually collecting these snails in Florida is more encouraged than discouraged. They are an aquatic pest, released from home aquariums. They are actually destroying the natural habitat for the native florida apple snail.

The legislation regarding them is more to keep them out of the hands of irresponsible owners than to protect them. I'm sure if I went to the Everglades park and asked if I could collect as many channeled apple snails as I possibly could to take them home with me and put in an aquarium they'd be thrilled. I'm just nowhere near the everglades. Also, the only water sources near me are salty marshes and the ocean. So I doubt I'll have luck finding one in the wild anyway.
Post InfoPosted 11-Nov-2007 20:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
daeraelle
----------
Hobbyist
female usa
Well, I looked into it a little more, and it seems I shouldn't have one at all. They are illegal to move across state lines anywhere in the united states, and are apparantly completely banned in several, including Florida.

So. Recommendations?
Post InfoPosted 11-Nov-2007 21:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
male usa
Hmm...Maybe you could try to raise a different monster snail? I saw a bland apple snail in a nature conservancy place in a hydroponic tank. I think its shell was about the size of a navel orange. I just looked something up in the internet and found something....Is the golden mystery snail the smae as the Pomacea canaliculata? Heres the site: http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_pages/misc_critters/snails.htm

Heres a link you might have visited: http://www.applesnail.net/content/species_genera.htm

Other than that, i think that you should just resort to looking for a Canaliculata, using the website, in stores that sells them, particularly in Localally owned buisnesses. Who knows, you might just find one on accident!

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
Post InfoPosted 13-Nov-2007 06:38Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies