SubscribeQuestion about baby snails....
El Tiburon Tailandes
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 54
Votes: 0
male costarica
Question for ya folks.....

In my backyard pond, there are some apple/mystery snails. Anyways... They have layed several batches of eggs, anyways, I have them on a little thing I made based on some internet suggestion somewhere. Basically they are floating in the pond in a little plastic breeding box, sitting atop a piece of styrofoam on top of some rubber bands so they stay moist but air circulates under them....

Anyways, a few of them are beginning to get out of their eggs, but I want to know the following.

The PH is about 7 or slighly lower, which is not usual snail ph, as Ive read they like water with high pH. Should I take them out of this water and look for a tank that has a higher ph (I have several at home to choose from) or should I keep them in the pond with the low ph. Would they in all likelyhood die if I move them somewhere else because of the water change and the fact that young ones are very delicate? Should I just keep them in the pond? Any suggestions or previous experience you can share that might help me?

Thanks

ETT
Post InfoPosted 27-Nov-2007 03:04Profile PM Edit Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
i would say keep them in the pond as they are used to that water chemistry and thwy should be fine. just leave them alone and let nature takes it course on them. thye wont all survive so dont be disapointed, but this allows you to keep the hardiest and most suited for the pond any how.

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 27-Nov-2007 09:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
I'd leave them in the pond as around a pH of 7+/- a tad
is fine for them. You don't say anything about the GH/KH
readings. The developing snails will need calcium for their
shells so the readings for the GH/KH should be in the
3-6 (50-100ppm).

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 27-Nov-2007 16:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
El Tiburon Tailandes
-----
Hobbyist
male costarica
I was thinking the same as you guys but I did forget to mention the readings for Gh and Kh as they are both very low, the water inmediately turns color when I add the first drop of the test fluid to the water......

I have researched online and have tried to add some foods that have calcium in a weak effort to supply some kind of calcium, I also read somwehre that cuttlebone could be added so I have one of those in there as well.

When replying to this message, take into consideration that I am in Costa Rica so not all supplies are exactly found here...

Thanks.

ETT
Post InfoPosted 27-Nov-2007 19:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
Depending upon how big this pond is you could simply add
a carbonate to it to raise the GH/KH of the water.
The Carbonate can take the form of crushed dolomite,
crushed limestone, or crushed coral. A layer on the
bottom, or a few handsfull (depending upon the size of
the pond). Or, you could add some limestone rocks to it
as decorations or build a pile in the center so that it
forms an island. In either case, with enough carbonate,
you will raise the General Hardness and the Carbonate
Hardness of the water and also increase the pH toward
an 8.0 reading.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 27-Nov-2007 20:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
El Tiburon Tailandes
-----
Hobbyist
male costarica
Hmmmm, the adding of the limestone is probably the way I´ll go and building the island in the middle sounds interesting.... It would take alot of rocks though as the pond is about a meter deep but I think I might go that route.....

For some reason Im afraid of sticking chemicals in there, you know bottled so and so, instead Id rather resort to something ´natural´like a rock.

I guess Ive seen how much of a mess a tank can be, Id rather avoid a 1200 gallon mess in my backyard, lol.

Thanks Frank.
Post InfoPosted 27-Nov-2007 23:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
lol yeah understand your problem. you might be able to put the snails in a ten gallon tank until they are large enough with a calcoium addative (ie reptile shell growth formulas work fine)

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 28-Nov-2007 03:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Gaia
----------
Fingerling
Kudos: 25
Votes: 30
belgium
I don't find the PH such a problme, but with the GH you have the poor little snail can't build their shells, so you should do something very fast as they are in danger.
Post InfoPosted 28-Nov-2007 11:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
El Tiburon Tailandes
-----
Hobbyist
male costarica
Question, they are now in a little tank with a small sponge filter, with some water from another tank which has a higher GH and KH, Question though, will sicknesses attack them easily? You know, regular fungus, stuff like that? Is this something I should be thinking about? IF so, any recommendations?

Thanks.

Post InfoPosted 06-Dec-2007 04:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Gaia
----------
Fingerling
Kudos: 25
Votes: 30
belgium
Well, I heard they can get sick from overcrowding in dirty water, but I never saw a sick snail actually. The only sicknesses I saw in snails were due to acidic or soft water.
I keep some of them overcrowded, but I never tried to keep them in dirty water though ( I mean with high ammonia or nitrate levels or too much organic waste), so I don't really know how they would take it.
I suppose if you do water changes regularily you wont have problems.
Post InfoPosted 09-Dec-2007 02:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies