L# Shrimp and salt
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeShrimp and salt
redthanatos
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 20
Votes: 0
So i want to get some cherry and ghost shrimp... i have 2 tanks one has mollies and molly babies.. its slightly salted... would the shrimp survive in those conditions? would the fish eat them if the shrimp are small? Also what kind of algae/bottom feeders wou;ld be good for this tank... remember it has a bit of salt.

Plus im assuming these shrimp dont eat plants? am i right in that assumption?

In my other tank i have ottos and cory's .. would these eat the shrimp?
thanks
Sean
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2007 20:37Profile PM Edit Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
Cherry shrimp would not work. Ghost shrimp would and there is actually a brackish-full saltwater species that is often sold in place of the freshwater ones. Even the full freshwater ghost shrimp survive some salt. I have 2 of mine in a true brackish tank. However you could just stop putting salt in the molly tank. They don't need it at all. Mollies adjust just fine from full freshwater to full saltwater conditions so it's not necessary unless you plan on adding other brackish fish. Mollies have lived and bred in freshwater tanks for many years without problems. Noone I know who has compared it has found any differences in their lifespan or reproduction in water with different levels of salinity. If you bought yours from any local store they probably haven't seen salt in several generations.

Shrimp will not eat plants and otos and cories will not eat shrimp. Exception is that all fish will eat all baby shrimp. It's too much of a good meal for most any fish to pass up. Otos might be one of the only ones but most don't risk any type of fish in a shrimp breeding tank. If you want to just keep shrimp those fish are fine but if you want any baby shrimp you need a fishless tank.
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2007 21:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies