Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeShrimp gone wild!
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
A few weekes back I added in 6 Cherry Shrimp to my 40G planted tank. My tank is so thick that I hardly ever see the little guys but today I have one that is scampering all over the tank. Might something be wrong with it? Normaly when I get to see them they are just eatting off of plants or wood in the tank not bouncing all over the place.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 12-Jul-2006 22:23Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
xlinkinparkx
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 353
Votes: 2
male canada
Mabey It more comfortable what fish do you have.

10gallon: 8neons 5gallon: 1betta
1oto
2platys
Post InfoPosted 13-Jul-2006 00:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Fish:
10 Oto
9 Brilliant Rasbora
4 Dwarf Neon Rainbow
2 Skunk Loach
1 Flying Fox
1 Baby bullhead? (I have been trying to get this guy out of my tank for a couple of weeks now. I got it from work a while back because it came in with the feeder shrimp and was only about an inch long. It is now about two inches and I am afraid it may be eatting the cherry shrimp.) I really shouldn't have thrown him in this tank but in the course of moving everything it happened.

That should be all the fish in there...

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 13-Jul-2006 02:14Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
illustrae
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 876
female usa
I used to notice this sort of behavior every few weeks from my dominant males, right before breeding. I think it's a good sign meaning that your shrimp are more comfortable in their new habitat, and you may even see baby shrimp in the next few weeks. If you have thick clumps of java moss for the baby shrimp to hide in, a few should survive. The java moss provides excellent cover and traps bits of food for the babies to eat. Other than that, you don't really need to do anything special for them.

Hoping that there must be a word for everything I mean...
Post InfoPosted 13-Jul-2006 15:48Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
That would be super sweet to have some babies! I would love to have a ton of the little guys in my tank!

Males are a little lighter in color right?

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 13-Jul-2006 16:10Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
Your Cherry Shrimps - they wouldn't be these by any chance?

Wow, lucky you if they are.

I've yet to see any of the popular freshwater shrimps of this kind (Amano, Cherry Shrimp etc) appear in dealers locally, and want Cherry Shrimps so badly

However, on reflection, even though I haven't kept these creatures (sigh), I'd make the following deduction.

Shrimps are, let's face it, prime food items for a LOT of aquatic predators. So, in an environment full of these predators, shrimps tend to keep a low profile. If shrimps find themselves in a non threatening environment where there are no predators to worry about, they would, logic suggests, become bolder. Which is in all probability what yours are doing.

Incidentally, according to that page, it is the FEMALES that boast the most intense cherry red colour. Males are pale and translucent (see photos on the linked page above). So if your active shrimp is a deep intense ruby red, it's actually a female.

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 22-Jul-2006 01:02Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Calilasseia,
Thats the little guys that I have. There should be 6 of them in the tank but I have a feeling that some of them might have become snacks for a little catfish I tossed in the tank. I tend to forget that its in there because I never see him. Yesterday I tryed to lure him out with food for a good hour but it never took the bait.

On a normal situation I might be able to find to of them though there are tons of hiding spots.

These guys are normaly hard to find but I checked with my boss and they were on the fish list so he got them in for me. Needless to say they are not a normal stocker for our store.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 22-Jul-2006 15:35Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies