Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeSnail Questions
CrimsonaX
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 57
female australia
First question:
How often should I be adding food? I have algea waffers and some vegetables on hand.
I generally give one algea waffer every 2nd night and vegies once a week, take out whatevers left overnight. He's pretty big now so he finishes the algea with no problems. Is this enough, too much or not enough XD

Second Questions:
I think my 6 gal is kinda been invaded by some sort of white shelled snail. All the ones Ive seen are small, oval shaped, and always on the glass or the filter.
They're not those white worm-ish looking things I've been told about so is it a kind of snail? If so how could I get rid of them?
They don't seem to latch onto vegies I leave in the tank for the morning...
And I haven't put anything plant wise into my tank since...well, months ago <_< odd

Post InfoPosted 03-Feb-2008 07:09Profile PM Edit Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
snail eggs can be stirred up in the water that you get new fish in and end up in your tank...

it isnt common, but it doesn happen on occasion.. it has happened to me as well...

to get rid of them summerse a bowl or a cup of some sort and put the algae wafers and veggies in there then in the morning ull up ht e bowl take out what you dont want and put back what you do want...

after a couple weeks you chold have greatly decreased the population...

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 03-Feb-2008 20:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
steven1982
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 74
Votes: 38
male canada
I had a LOT of snails in my 10 gal. I picked them out one by one. It would take half an hour a day. It took 3-5 weeks. Also if you feed a little less it helps as well.
There is also Clown Loaches that would eat those snails right up, however 6 gal is to small for a Clown Loach.
Post InfoPosted 04-Feb-2008 01:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
fyi, snails often hitch a ride in on new plants... so it pays to rinse them well before planting. If you don't want new snails, that is...
Post InfoPosted 04-Feb-2008 06:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
steven1982
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 74
Votes: 38
male canada
Soak the plants using one gallon of water and two tablespoon of alum. Soak plants for two to three days, then rinse well before planting in tank.
Post InfoPosted 04-Feb-2008 23:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
EditedEdited by Callatya
You might want to leave that for hardy plants or run a few trials first. I used a much more dilute quantity for 20 mins (I think it was 3T/10-15L) and pretty much nuked wisteria and hornwort. The pond snails died, but it was a bit of a moot point by then Anubias and java fern survived, but the java fern needed TLC.

Are the white snail looking things sort of like a slug with a hat? If so, copper/copper based meds do them in easily but you might want to consider keeping them as they are wonderful with algae and seem to leave plants alone.

Have you considered floating plants for your snail? My old apple snail used to clamber up to the top to munch duckweed in preferejnce to wafers, fish slivers and veggies down the bottom, so it might be a nice supplement if he's that way inclined.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 07-Feb-2008 18:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Twilight
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 76
Votes: 92
female canada
Wow! I thought Java fern was pretty much nuke-proof. I've done the soak and sort with a few drops of teatree oil in water. That's mostly to 'clean up' the plants and allow me time to look for and manually remove snails and eggs. But, wouldn't you know it, the one time I got impatient and didn't do it, I had a hitchhiker.

As to your first question, CrimsonaX, sounds like the feeding's going well. Is he alone?

I vote! Do you?
Post InfoPosted 11-Feb-2008 21:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies