Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeSnail invasion in tank help.
ps141
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 1
Votes: 1
male usa
So I picked up so live plants and didnt notice that they had snails hang even though I should have known. But now they are over taking my filter whats the best way to get rid of them.
Post InfoPosted 11-Feb-2008 06:04Profile PM Edit Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
Not a big fan of the risks associated with chemical cures, and as to wether cutting down on overfeeding and spare foods drops their number is a matter of what species they are, some snails will just turn to softer plants if the leftover foods run out.

Therefore id favour a lot of manual removal, leaving out food as bait and capturing them, or include a fish species that will eat them, and that of course depends on what other fish species you keep as regards compatability, most snail eaters often also tend to be fin nippers, and fish so often recommended for snail eating duties like clown loaches can be impractically large for your average aquarium, and rather sensitive to meds, which can make protecting other fish difficult. If you decide to go down the fish that eat snails route, it might help to include a list of species already in your aquarium so that something compatible can be suggested.
Post InfoPosted 11-Feb-2008 09:33Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 223
Votes: 255
female usa
If you don't mind reading, go to "search" & type in snails. A ton of back posts will come up, many of them dealing with how to get rid of or cut down on snails.
Post InfoPosted 11-Feb-2008 16:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies