Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeSpice it up.
mnventurer
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 31
Votes: 34
male usa
I'd like to add one creature in addition to all my fish. What would be happy by itself with them?

I don't want a snail unless it does more than just sit. An aquatic frog might be nice. Do those frogs do okay being underwater all the time? I guess I'd have to lock up the tank real good. What else is there besides shrimp, frogs and snails?

Saint Paul, Minnesota USA 20g Freshwater Started June 10th 2008
-> Tank Info In Profile <-
Post InfoPosted 09-Jul-2008 17:36Profile PM Edit Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
crabs, cray fish, lobsters(yabbie), etc. there are countless varieties in each category (shrimp and snails too)... i have the ADF (african dwarf frogs) in my 55... they do fine although i think i am going to move them to a smaller tank because i think they have problems with too much depth. i also have a red claw crab aand have had yabbies and crayfish in the past. the crabs are ok with most fish, but yabbbies and crayfish often get too large and agressive over time and might scout out your fish for food. look into getting some larger snail varieties (ie spixis, apple, canna, mystery, etc) these are bigger, not as prolific and pesty as well as are "friendly" once they get bigger and get to know you they can stick to your hand and walk arround or just be happy little creatures. shrimp are great little cleaners and great looking additions to any tank! to find out if any of the more pricey varieties will most likely be safe, go get a few ghost/glass shrimp too sthe min and their survival depends on what you can and cant add. some shrimp are hardier and some less hardy than glass/ghost shrimp, so research them and their compatability with your fish!

if you told us a little more about your tank we could in turn help you decide on an appropriate candidate

GOOD LUCK!
-Brandon

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 09-Jul-2008 19:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mnventurer
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 31
Votes: 34
male usa
if you told us a little more about your tank we could in turn help you decide on an appropriate candidate

It's all in my profile.

Saint Paul, Minnesota USA 20g Freshwater Started June 10th 2008
-> Tank Info In Profile <-
Post InfoPosted 09-Jul-2008 20:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
steven1982
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 74
Votes: 38
male canada
African Clawed Frogs are one of the main aquatic frog at your LFS however they tend to kill its tank mates. So stay away from them. And also they do stay in the water all the time.
Post InfoPosted 09-Jul-2008 22:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
katieb
-----
Fish Addict
Votes: 69
female usa
Im rather fond of the apple snail species P. Bridgedessi. They stay small and don't eat plants. Theyre also easy to find in a variety of colors for very little money.

www.applesnail.net

Shrimp are nice, there are many species appropriate for your tank each unique and interesting.

I'll do graffiti,
If you sing to me in French.
Post InfoPosted 09-Jul-2008 23:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
General Hague
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 81
Votes: 3
male usa
4 Giant Danios, 2 Leopard Danios and 2 Otocinclus. Would like to add some Cories and 2 Blue German Rams (maybe Bolivian Rams
instead since I'm a beginner). I'm going to need a bigger tank!

Could add small shrimp like cherry, rudolph, ghost, ammano and other like shrimp. Or a bigger shrimp would be the fan type such as the wood shrimp. Those fan shrimp got "feather like" hands that they move around in the water to eat particles in it. There is newts and frogs, and different variety of apple snails. Gold, Ivory, Black, Blue.

There isn't much else besides shrimp, snails, newts and frogs.
Post InfoPosted 15-Jul-2008 09:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies