AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# Invertebrates
  L# To Shrimp Or Not To Shrimp That Is The Question...
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeTo Shrimp Or Not To Shrimp That Is The Question...
oldfishnewfish
Hobbyist
Kudos: 16
Votes: 1
hey i finally got my 20 gallon tank up and running and it has been perfect for 2 weeks with not a single problem.now i am questioning wether or not to buy a 10 gallon aquarium and try to do a set up like keiths. (shrimp live plants etc.) is a 10 gallon big enough? if not what is a similar set up that would be possible in a 10 gallon fish tank (oh and ps i think the one i might get is a 10 gallon tall fish tank if it matters)
Post InfoPosted 01-Mar-2009 23:36Profile PM Edit Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
well if you want a small shrimp tank then a 10 gallon is great so long as there is enough light and etc for the plants. the Shrimp don't need much --calm water, driftood, plants, clean water, and some food.

You'll need to get it cycled and planted before you buy any shrimp. so what type of plants do you want and how much maintenance to you want to put in with the plants (ie high light fast growers or low light slow growers)?

-Brandon

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 02-Mar-2009 00:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
oldfishnewfish
Hobbyist
Kudos: 16
Votes: 1
im thinking slow growers for plants and then mabey like ghost shrimp or something ( only because none of my LFS carry cherry shirmp) also im not sure if the lighting on the tank is floresent i dont know if that makes a difference though
Post InfoPosted 02-Mar-2009 00:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
A 10g would be perfect for shrimps (I know nothing about Ghost Shrimps) all I know mine are breeding all the time. I have never seen them at any LFS I bought mine from a private breeder. The cost is about $3-$4 depending on their quality. The bright reds stand out against the green plants. You could toss in a few Khuli Loaches as bottom cleaners they are extremely easy to look after.

I only have three species of plants Crypts tall & short varieties, Anubias nana in a big clump also floating water sprite "Indian water fern" which they love especially cleaning the fine roots

I also have a 6ins air wand under the Anubias and this is where they mainly live and breed.

Filtration can be a problem with the inlet as the baby shrimps "WILL" get sucked into the filter. I fixed that by making a prefilter from a HOB filter foam block.

You could try asking in classified where you can get some locally

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 02-Mar-2009 02:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
Kudos: 63
Votes: 10
female usa
OK, I'm confused. You can put Kuhlii loaches and shrimp together? I thought that shrimp (according to the profile here) couldn't be put with loaches. And what about Bolivian Rams? Could they go with Bolivian Rams, or no? Because I was wondering if that was possible and I would get a couple Cherry Shrimp for bottom cleaning in addition to the Kuhlii Loaches. It was just a random thought though.
Post InfoPosted 16-Oct-2009 04:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
OK, I'm confused. You can put Kuhli loaches and shrimp together? I thought that shrimp (according to the profile here) couldn't be put with loaches.

In my 45 lt I have 4 Khuli loaches and they eat side by side not a problem at all.

I also have been informed dont use Cardinals as they will eat all the very young shrimp. If that is the case why are mine breding like crazy.

And what about Bolivian Rams?

That would be loverly for the Rams for the first few hrs then they would be looking for more to snack on.

I have 4 Bolivian Rams in my 5ft tank and they are scared of nothing I think one male just killed a fully grown Opaline Gourami.

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 16-Oct-2009 08:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
female usa
wow. OK, so no rams and shrimp, lol.

But good to know that I could do the kuhlii loaches and shrimp. Maybe another time though, since I want the Bolivian Rams more.

Btw, how big is a 45 lt tank? Sorry, I only know by gallons.
Post InfoPosted 16-Oct-2009 18:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Delenn, for just those types of questions, FP has a calculator in the Interactive menu of the website. 45 L is about 11 gallons.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 16-Oct-2009 20:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
female usa
Thanks Shinigami.
Post InfoPosted 16-Oct-2009 20:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies