Troy_Mclure
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 306
male australia
http://www.aquagreen.com.au/plant_data/Notopala_waterhousei.html

So...What do you think?

Has anyone here got any?

I am pretty keen on the idea of a snail that doesnt eat plants. Does anybody know of any non online retailers that sell them?
Post InfoPosted 03-Jan-2008 01:33Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
Gone_Troppo

----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 196
australia au-northernterritory
Hi Troy

I've had one of these guys in my 180g; I really liked it. As far as snails go it was actually kind of pretty. It never ate any of my plants, but did a great job on the algae. I did notice that towards the end, the snails' shell got a bit thin, but I think that could probably have been remedied with improved calcium level (either dietary or in the water column - one of the more experienced invert folks may know more about how to prevent this from happening).

If I had more algae in my tank, I would probably get another one but my current algae army is doing a great job at maintaining fairly low levels atm.

Here's a few old pics of mine:
Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3

As far as I know, the company you linked are the only suppliers / commercial breeders of this snail; pretty much anyone retailing them in stores will likely have sourced them from Aquagreen. If you're hesitant about ordering online yourself why not ask your LFS to place an order on your behalf?

G_T

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Post InfoPosted 03-Jan-2008 02:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Troy_Mclure
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 306
male australia
Thanks for the quick response GT!

I'll have to look around. I dont like ordering online as I am never home during busness hours. I'll check with the aquarium store at rockdale if they get them.

have you ever noticed them on the glass or do they prefer to spend time on the gravel?
Post InfoPosted 03-Jan-2008 02:32Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Gone_Troppo

----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 196
australia au-northernterritory
Mine used to make periodic trips up the glass to the surface (never completely out of the water though). There didn't seem to be any particular favourite spot for the snail (other than on the easiest food source), it would be on the gravel, all over and inside the ornaments, on the plants and on the glass. The only place it didn't seem to like was where we had patches of thick BBA... I think maybe it felt strange under it's "foot".

It really liked veggie wafers, fresh veggies and the "algae rocks" that were put in the tank for the farlowella (that's what the 3rd pic above is... the farlowella mistaking the snail as an extension of the algae rock). It's surprising how fast an inch round snail can move when is senses that there is something particularly yummy and easy to eat in the tank.

If your LFS doesn't stock the waterhouse snails and you decide that you really want one (or more) I would suggest that you take Aquagreen's contact details / web address to them and ask that they order you some.

G_T

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Post InfoPosted 03-Jan-2008 03:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies