L# albino pond snails!!!!
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribealbino pond snails!!!!
fishyhelper288
-----
Fish Guru
Kudos: 1951
Votes: 137
i finally found the gene!! i now have 4-5 albino, or golden pond snails!! i am very excited! i havemt heard of this being bred before, but i firts noticed 1 or 2 everynow and then, but they died not long after now i think i have some good strong snails! these r much more attractive than the yuky brown, or black variety, im not sure how rare they r, but i cant find any info in the internet of this! to keep the albinos around, i squished all the young dark variety, and only kept they very large adult snails, i only have 2 of those.

most pond snails have a light colored shell, which is only apparent when the body is removed from the shell, but now i have some light body + light shell color snails!! the largest so far is about __ big!

anyone else have these rare snails?
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:27Profile PM Edit Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
Do you mean cana applesnails? The big ones that are about the size of a baseball? If so I haven't heard of ivories but they may already exist. If you mean brigs, the little 2" diameter snails, then I have around 100 ivories and a variety of olives, purple stripes, blue, and jade snails.
Here's the site for the latest research on applesnail colors. [link=http://free.hostultra.com/~applesnails/]http://free.hostultra.com/~applesnails/" style="COLOR: #00C0C0[/link]
Diluted colors such as ivory are always weaker than darker colors in every species of animal. True albinos are usually lethal.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fishyhelper288
-----
Fish Guru
no, not apple, like actual pond snails one of mine

and another of a website

i realy do think i discovered somthing and if i didient, well, atleast i have an attractive pond snail family
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
female usa
I have seen physids with white/clear shells but never white bodied. You could ask over at applesnail.net. Someone in the scientific forum would probably be interested.
moondog

---------------
---------------
The Hobnob-lin
Kudos: 1038
Votes: 4366
male usa
i had some apple snails with yellow-ish bodies and beige colored shells, is that what you have??

"That's the trouble with political jokes in this country... they get elected!" -- Dave Lippman
fishyhelper288
-----
Fish Guru
for the 3rd time im positive they r pond snails, not apple, or anyhting with that door thingy

i will check it out sham
katieb
-----
Fish Addict
Votes: 69
female usa
I think moondog may have been asking if your albino pond snails were beige shelled and white bodied, using his apple snail's colorations as an example.

Also, im pretty certain that all snails have a "door-thingy"(operculem), not just apple snails

Last edited by katieb at 22-Jun-2005 13:34

I'll do graffiti,
If you sing to me in French.
fishyhelper288
-----
Fish Guru
nope, pond snails dont have a door

i think thats thats what makes apples and mysteries diffrent from other snails not sure about that htough, but im sure my snails dont have a door
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
i think its more what makes the ponds unusual, most snails do have a door, but those dont... makes them a lot easier to poison than other snails if that be your wish.

personally, if they behave and dont over-breed, i don't mind them

WE WANT PHOTOS!

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
female usa
Applesnails have an operculum(door) and a lung with breathing syphon. A few other snails have an operculum. There are lots of snails without either and those are the ones usually referred to as pest snails.
fishyhelper288
-----
Fish Guru
just as an update, they have bred and now i have maybe 10 albies the largest one is growing quickly too! it is maybe a half centimeter long and they still look great sorry, i cant have pics yet but, by the time i ca, i should have at least 2 adults and some juviniles....im gunna have to add them to a tank where the fish dont eat snails... oh well, i should have a 75 gallon by them, so they could go into the 29
fishyhelper288
-----
Fish Guru
pic number one

[link= pic number 2]http:// photobucket.com/albums/y133/msbugalot/?action=view&current=katiespics0014.jpg[/link]

those r before the now population explosion the snail is about half an inch long, and has many desendants, and also diffrent morphs i have silver shelled with white bodies , silvershelled with diffrent spots white bodies and a red stripe on the shell, i have dark shells with grey bodies, i have white bodied with grey spots with assorted shell types,

i am just so happy but they do seem to be growing a bit slower now, i feed them on plant slips, and they get a bit of the fry food too (they live in my fry tank)

im gunna see if i can borrow a camera too
rowjimmy
Small Fry
Kudos: 0
Votes: 0
I also have a couple of what I call albino pond snails they're white the larger than regular pond snails they have what seems to almost be glitter like speckles all over their bodies they are just beautiful and their tentacles are shorter more horn like and you can see the pink I believe its cerebral ganglion in their head I've been trying to find more out about them I wish I could post some pictures having trouble figuring that out.
Post InfoPosted 01-Jan-2014 20:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies