AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# Invertebrates
  L# what shrimp can survive in water with copper?
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribewhat shrimp can survive in water with copper?
ztb23
Hobbyist
Kudos: 137
Votes: 0
i just learned from my local pet store that the water in my area has a lot of copper in it. are there any small fresh water shrimp that can survive in water with a high copper content?
Post InfoPosted 07-Feb-2014 01:27Profile PM Edit Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
I don't think any shrimp are going to fit the bill for this, but there is a trick to detoxifying that water. This is something I learned at a talk by well-known planted aquarium author Diana Walstad: For your shrimp tank (which should also be planted itself), only change the water with "used" water from a tank with a lot of humic and tannic acids (from plants and decomposition of things like leaves, soil, driftwood, etc). Humic and tannic acid detoxify heavy metals such as copper. The water will be yellower, but it should be safe for your shrimp. Just don't add water straight from the tap.

><>
Post InfoPosted 07-Feb-2014 02:19Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
ztb23
Hobbyist
that would work beautifully. the coloration of the water could just be removed with active carbon. thank you very much for the advice and the fast response.
Post InfoPosted 07-Feb-2014 05:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
You don't want to remove the color with active carbon, it'll take out all the good stuff.

><>
Post InfoPosted 07-Feb-2014 11:24Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
ztb23
Hobbyist
oh.... ok then
Post InfoPosted 07-Feb-2014 18:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies