juwel-180
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 212
Votes: 17
male uk
EditedEdited by juwel-180
hi guys

today i had to get me some wood shrimp i love them. But as soon as a opened the bag to let them swim down and start fanning them started hunting around the floor for bits it eat. I must say they have found loads to eat grabbing hand fulls of stuff but should they do this is it because the flow is not hard anuf or that there is nothing to eat. Or am i expecting to much with in like the first 2 hours. i could realy do with some pointers here!
Post InfoPosted 17-Jan-2007 22:41Profile PM Edit Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
Probably starved in the store and are making up for it. Give them a few days to recover and settle in. They also have to find where everything is in the tank before they'll decide where the good spots are to fan.
Post InfoPosted 17-Jan-2007 23:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
pookiekiller12
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 633
Votes: 41
male usa
I was expecting mine to colonize driftwood. However they either end up hanging on to hornwort or anubias that is near the flow of the filter. I would just give them time to find their comfortable space.

Mine are nearly always near the outflow of the filter though.

I like them a whole lot also. good luck.
Post InfoPosted 17-Jan-2007 23:21Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
juwel-180
-----
Enthusiast
male uk
ok thanks guys i mean there where about 20 in one small 65-70 liter tank which they where all fltering in bacuse there where also loads of yoyo loaches in there as well cleaning the floor. I must say they have eatten all the rubbish from under my filter which i could not reach. So do u think they could do with feeding up and setteling in
Post InfoPosted 17-Jan-2007 23:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
So_Very_Sneaky
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2272
Votes: 201
female canada
Hi there,
my wood shrimp always browses the bottom of the tank
for food too. I dont think it has anything to do with starvation, just that they know good stuff is there!
Mine spends 85% of its time hanging over the filter output, and the other 15% of the time scavenging the bottom for "loot".

Come Play Yahtzee With Me!
http://games.atari.com
Http://www.myleague.com/yahtgames
Post InfoPosted 18-Jan-2007 06:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
juwel-180
-----
Enthusiast
male uk
thanks So_Very_Sneaky um can they sit on plants like thick grass and amazon sword or do they preffer rocks. As mainly it is plants infront of my out flow but there are about 4-5 bigs rocks in the tank. thanks for the help so far guys it has been great
Post InfoPosted 18-Jan-2007 17:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
pookiekiller12
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 633
Votes: 41
male usa
Mine use anubias and hornwort to hang onto, and occasionally will use java fern also.
Post InfoPosted 18-Jan-2007 19:37Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
They prefer wood but they sit on plants just fine. Mine have been hanging in the crinum leaves because I had to turn the spraybar up and it no longer points at the wood. If given the choice they will sit on the wood.

All wood shrimp I've seen eating off the bottom acted somewhat starved. I've also never seen a wood shrimp that was target fed feed off the bottom. They only do that when they aren't filtering enough. Doesn't mean they are going to starve to death but they are not getting enough food in their preferred way. Having 20 shrimp in any tank probably meant they weren't able to filter enough food and possibly not even find enough food on the bottom. 3 shrimp can effectively filter my 55g to the point I have to specifically feed them or they have to go hunting around the tank for food.
Post InfoPosted 18-Jan-2007 21:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
juwel-180
-----
Enthusiast
male uk
thanks guys one seems to like to filter and the other likes to cover the ground. um i think i will leave them to get seateled in and see wat happens. Any more comments are always great
Post InfoPosted 18-Jan-2007 22:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
juwel-180
-----
Enthusiast
male uk
i thought i would just say they have finaly found a place to filter feed which is great and i think i was expecting to much to soon but you guys advice realy did help so thanks again!
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2007 23:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies