SubscribeAre Bettas True Killers?
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4173
Votes: 452
male usa
maybe i missed this, but i been seeing that alot of new fishkeepers have it in there minds that bettas are true killers. they will kill anything in the tank.

now i have my own veiws about this, but i found this to be crazy.

i been noticing that at yahoo.com and answer fish questions there are alot of betta questions and i think they need our help as if we dont more and more fishkeepers are going to get mis-informed.

so anywy, are bettas true killer fish.
Post InfoPosted 24-Jul-2006 20:47Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Report 
chelaine
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 343
Votes: 78
female usa
actually.. i experimented with my betta, and put him in my 55 gallon while cleaning out his tank, i put it in a breeder net, and the closest sign of aggression was from the constant harrassing of the other fish. my angelfish especially tried to dominate him and kept lunging at the net. I'm pretty sure if i kept my betta in a community tank with a school of small tetra, he would be none the wiser. I think bettas have the true killer name because they have visible signs of anger and domination- the flaring and charging.

*Chelle*
Post InfoPosted 24-Jul-2006 21:09Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I think you will find that most fish are killers of some sort this is a natural survival skill. Saying that some are far more aggresive than others as you certainly know. Some M&F Bettas are far more aggresive than others. Their natural foods make them aggressive as it is.
Personally I think there are far too many ill informed fish keepers out there than the ones who are fully and correctly informed.
I also go to a Garden Site that has a Aquarium section and nothing suprises me as to the actual beliefs/knowledge of some fish keepers. This also applies to many LFS or big stores that sell fish.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 25-Jul-2006 03:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Indigo_Bird
-----
Small Fry
female usa
In my own experience with betta fish, they have actually proven to be quite good community fish, but every betta has their own personality, and you can't really know if yours will get along with other fish until you try it. I have successfully kept my betta fish with harlequin rasboras, corydoras catfish, otocinclus, livebearers, neon tetras, fancy guppies, (kinda a proceed with caution combination but it worked for me ), khuli loaches, cherry barbs, and many other peaceful community fish. My first betta did flare a bit at the platies, but he got over it. Other betta keepers have not been so lucky; my friend's betta immediately attacked a lyre tailed guppy she had in with hers.

I have also heard experiences about ruby red bettas being the most aggressive, and the blue ones to be the least aggressive, though I have never tried this theory. I can say though, my first betta, Nekhoro, was blue.

~Indigo

~Indigo

~Wear short sleeves; support your right to bear arms!~
Post InfoPosted 25-Jul-2006 04:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
Which type of betta?

Your average wild betta splendens is a pretty docile beast, all things considered. They are territorial, but not any more aggressive than any other territorial fish I've kept.

The plakat fish that are trained for fighting are pretty aggressive, as are some of the fancies, but it isn't the species so much as the line it comes from and the training it has had.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 25-Jul-2006 04:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Pammy
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 130
female usa
It really does depend on the personality of the betta. I have one blue betta that's an absolute sweety. And I have another blue betta that wants to eat me whenever I feed him. He always tries to take a bit out of my finger.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jul-2006 06:00Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies