L# Pages: 1, 2
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeBetta breeding
HorseGal
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
this is continued from my original thread because nobody was replying anymore:

My female seems fairley interestested in my male betta( they are in the breeding tank) and the male has started a bubble nest, but she isnt showing breeding stripes. they have been in there for around 3 days and his nest is about this big | | that all the way around..... he isnt working on it much, but when i first noticed it, it wasnt there that morning. when should i release the female?

What came first? the chicken or the egg? No really.....
Post InfoPosted 19-Aug-2007 20:03Profile PM Edit Report 
eat_ham222
-----
Banned
Kudos: 72
Votes: 16
male usa
Remove the female as soon as she is done pooping out the eggs, the male will fertilize the eggs on his own with out the female.
Post InfoPosted 19-Aug-2007 20:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
eat_ham222
-----
Banned
male usa
oo! Also these may help

[/link]http://members.aol.com/andrerich/aquarium/breeding.htm[/link]

[/link]http://www.bettatalk.com/how_bettas_spawn.htm[/link]

Adn this one has video! ^^!
[/link]http://www.siamsbestbettas.com/breeding.html[/link]
Post InfoPosted 19-Aug-2007 20:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HorseGal
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
i know, im just confused about the whole thing... i have been to all those sites, but thanks anyway. Oh, and she is done dropping eggs without the males help, but then she ate them all

Post InfoPosted 19-Aug-2007 22:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
MoFish
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 40
female usa
If you are confused about breeding then you should stop and get your facts strait...and cure your female of fin rot first before you try again (just like i said in your other thread about the exact same thing.)

and ham, the female is needed for breeding, not just the eggs. they need to (for lack of a better word) "hook" on to each other other wise the eggs wont be fertile.

~Morgan~
Post InfoPosted 19-Aug-2007 22:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HorseGal
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
anybody know of any fin rot cure that works from experience?

Post InfoPosted 19-Aug-2007 22:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
eat_ham222
-----
Banned
male usa
Oh, didn't know that Mofish! ^^;; I thought the male fertilizes them all by himself. And i've never had a fish with finrot so i wouldn't know, and why would you breed a sick fish? 0.o'
Post InfoPosted 19-Aug-2007 23:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HorseGal
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
oh, im not even sure she IS sick! she has normal fin shape and isnt acting funny. nothings rotting away!

Post InfoPosted 19-Aug-2007 23:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HorseGal
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
im pretty sure she is fine. no fin rot here

Post InfoPosted 20-Aug-2007 00:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
MoFish
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
Are the edges of her fins darker than they should be? If they are then she has fin rot. That is what i could tell from your other pictures. They weren't really clear but if you think she is fine (and it sounds like you think she is...i was just being cautious because it is your first time breeding bettas [or it sounds like it atleast ), then go ahead but proceed with caution.

When you release the female she or the male can take some large chunks out of each others fins so be careful. It is normal to have them fight some so dont worry too much but if they start to lose a lot of finnage then you should call it off.

Do you have any pictures of the setup? I am curious to see it, just to see how you did it: I did mine in not a perfect breeding set up but everything worked out in the end.

~Morgan~
Post InfoPosted 20-Aug-2007 02:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HorseGal
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
ok, i will buy medicine just in case i find out she has it.

Post InfoPosted 20-Aug-2007 13:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
MoFish
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
actually, for fin rot, meds are a waste of money. Fin rot is easy to fix: just keep her water very clean and add a bit of aquarium salt (I forgot how much per gallon though )

~Morgan~
Post InfoPosted 21-Aug-2007 16:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HorseGal
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
ok, i will treat her because the male stopped building his nest and it got ruined, so i will take her out, then once she is better, i will reintroduce her. why did he stop building after the first day?? Is that bad?

Post InfoPosted 22-Aug-2007 03:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
EditedEdited by Callatya
A whole bunch of reasons.

Perhaps she was noticeably not up to breeding. Maybe her finrot is a sign of something more sinister and he is now infected and feeling lousy.

Never ever breed visibly sick fish unless you are prepared to have the parents and the spawn die. Breeding is stressful and will progress any illness faster than normal, and fry have undeveloped immune systems and are way too sensitive to drugs for them to be treated for anything much at all.

Watch them carefully for signs of illness, and DO NOT reintroduce them for at least 2 weeks. Give them some breathing space and time to recover before you try again.

And do get some multicure to have on hand. It may not be necessary for this, but Murphy's Law says that they'll end up getting sick just as the shops are closed. It is always worthwhile to have something on hand, even if you never use it.

EDIT - and just on the dark edges thing, she is the blue MG, right? A dark blue edge is normal for that colouration. Look for tatty or 'melted' edges, or red inflamed areas.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 22-Aug-2007 06:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HorseGal
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
ok, thats what i thought because parts of her are matalic blue when she is under light. the edges are too, i just found out. the only problom is that the male makes his bubble nest again and again because every mroing it is gone, then that vening or the nest day it is about as big as ttwo of ypur fingers put together. the pattern had gone on for many days so far. and it never gets bigger then 2 fingers in width, then it is gone within 24 hours... he is also showing off for her more and doing a wiggly dance, but she doent have any bars, but she is getting fatter. im feeding her mousquitoe larvae. she seems fairley interested in him, but i thought SHE did the wiggley dance, not him

Post InfoPosted 28-Aug-2007 00:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HorseGal
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
the male stopped making the bubblenests completely, so i swithched him out with another male, and he already has started a bubble nest.

Post InfoPosted 05-Sep-2007 01:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Carissa
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 37
Votes: 0
I think they both can do wiggly dances. From what I understand the female should be released as soon as the bubble nest is good and big, assuming that she has eggs. If you have too much circulation that can make it difficult for the male to get a good bubble nest built.
Post InfoPosted 05-Sep-2007 19:15Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
EditedEdited by Callatya
yup, both do wiggly dances. males go sort of stiff and shimmy, but females can do that too. What you are looking for in the female is swimming near the male with her body at a 45* angle and her head down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k1idkSyDJc - 16 seconds in is the type of dance the male does. Notice the female is hanging around under the nest and letting the male display to her, and the going back under the nest? that is the sort of thing you are aiming for. They were conditioned with her in her hurricane lamp for 3 weeks before I let them loose, and I only let them go at it once the girl was ready and dancing. I'm sure I'll have a vid of the head down dance somewhere, I'll hunt it down.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 05-Sep-2007 20:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HorseGal
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
ok, this is weird! the new male destroyed his bubble nest too! why?

Post InfoPosted 08-Sep-2007 19:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Just let him be, he'll rebuild it in a day or so. They do that sometimes. Are you sure he destroyed it? It wasn't the girl?

Post InfoPosted 09-Sep-2007 05:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies