SubscribeBetta with Discus & Apistos
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
female australia au-newsouthwales
I have a male Betta, living in his own small tank. I'd like to try him in my planted discus tank. Also in that tank are corys & some peaceful kribs & apistos (yes these ones are proving to be peaceful). The kribs were born in my tank & are now fully grown, being more than a year old. Only one grew to normal size, the other 2 are runts. They bother no-one, nor do the apistos.

Would the male Betta be ok in that tank, do you think?

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 19-Dec-2007 13:28Profile PM Edit Report 
HorseGal
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
i dont know. it depends on how aggressive your betta is, and if any of ur fish are too colorful with long fins, he moight confuse them for a male betta. go ahead and try it but if he shows any aggresion, take him out

What came first? the chicken or the egg? No really.....
Post InfoPosted 20-Dec-2007 00:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I would say "no" reason being other than possible nipping he has been by himself and is not used to being in a community also a larger tank. Again it will depend totally on his temperament.
When I introduced my Betta into his 32Lt tank with the Cardinal Tetras he was a bit nippy at first now he never worries them if he did he would have gone straight back.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 20-Dec-2007 02:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
coltsfan
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 75
Votes: 6
male usa
My first thought was no, simply for the nipping reason. But now I am thinking it may be possible because all the other fish were in the tank first so a pecking order has been established. Now I am not saying he may not be picked on at first but in short time the tank will probably resume as it was. If the picking doesn't stop or gets worse remove him immediately! Good luck and let us know what happens!

Justin

Colts Fan For Life
30g platy tank: 2 sunburst wag platys, 2 redtailed white calico platys, 2 red wag platys, 1 fry(not sure who it belongs to), 1 Golden CAE.
Bettas:1 VT male
Post InfoPosted 20-Dec-2007 22:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Well, I think I might try it tomorrow, when I have time to sit and watch how it goes. There is not really any fish in there, other than him, with long flowing fins, so I hope it will be okay.

If not, he will move out again.

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 21-Dec-2007 14:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
The male betta has now been living quite peacefully in the discus community tank now since the 22nd. If ever this changes, he'll move straight out, but for now all seems well. Thanks for the advice.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 29-Dec-2007 02:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies