SubscribeCT Betta Growth Rate
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
Hi all!

I am looking into getting another CT betta, as the CT i have now is not my favorite color (Irredescent Turquoise). My dad wants this betta though, because it has all of the qualities HE likes. Now i have visited a lot of the LFSs and so far i have found a really nice, Double Double Ray CT Betta. For those out there who dont know what that is, it is a CT Betta, with 2 Ray Branches on each Ray, with 2 more Ray branches on the 2 Rays. It looks spectacular, and has a pure royal blue color. I love it a lot, but the actual rays arent that long, and are very short! He is also very small, smaller than what i would expect on a betta on sale! My question here, is if his tail will grow longer and start to extend the rays, and how long does it usually take to grow to a larger size. It is currently like 1.5 inches long on the body. The others i have seen, are around 2 inches on the body. Is it ok to have a small betta?

Thanks All!

~Goby

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 14-Jan-2008 23:36Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
EditedEdited by Callatya
It is fine for him to be small. He might just be young or he might be stunted. Providing he doesn't look weedy, you are fine You are probably looking at about 1-2 months if he's just young and you free-range him in a larger tank and 6 months if he's stunted (that can be hit and miss, but generally the 'bonsai' ones live just as long as their full size brothers).

The issue might be that, as he grows, the tail extensions become less and less ounced as the webbing grows. If he already has very short ray extensions then you might need to think about that. It really depends on the build of the fish and the arrangement of the rays etc. If he's just young you might get more ray growth, but at his size he might well be a breeder cull for the fact that his rays are too short for competition.

Any chance of a piccie?

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 15-Jan-2008 03:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
I am so out of it these days....

Im so sorry for not replying! I completely and totally forgot i had posted this thread!

Well, the royal blue betta is at a LFS in a land far-far-away, and i forgot to snap a picture when i was there! I guess the reason for my worry, is that ive never been to this LFS before, and i am definately not accostumed to seeing young bettas, so it took me by surprise.

WHen you say weedy, exactly what do you mean? I am really not too good on terms lately. From my memory, he looked small, and his rays about the size or slightly smaller than his body length. The double rayed part of him looks quite good, and i love the look of another extension on his 2 rays, so the DDR CT looks fantastic to me! I kinda prefer it over the lacey, long rayed DR CT bettas. It seems like it is more organized, or more ounced IMO. TBH, i am not really selecting for show though, and at an LFS, i am sure the breeder isnt breeding for show either.

THanks Callatya for your help! I will try my best to get a decent piccie, and i will also snap some of the preffered bettas that i like, and i hope i can get a nice one!

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 18-Jan-2008 23:05Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies