SubscribeCommunity Betta
divertran
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 469
Votes: 165
male usa
EditedEdited by divertran
My male betta isn't the fondest of his home, a nice 5g tank. I was wondering how he may fare in my larger 29g community tank. The inhabitants are:
1 female molly (the last one left from my molly days)
2 yo-yo loaches
1 dwarf pleco (a rubbernose)
5 harlequin rasboras
Perhaps a pair of ottos (been awhile since I seen them last)
He does spend most of his time near the bottom and petey can be a bit protective of his domain. Anybody have any thoughts?
Post InfoPosted 21-Dec-2006 11:27Profile PM Edit Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
Make sure there are lots of decorations for him to sit on and hide around until he gets used to the tank and it should be fine. Bettas often don't know how to truly swim and so have trouble for a few days. All they do in their little tanks is float there wiggling the ends of their fins. In a bigger tank with more filtration and other fish they have to learn to move their whole tail and fins to get anywhere. It takes a couple days where they just hide out and get shoved around a little but they are extremely happy once they figure it out. You'll never want to put them back in a small tank again. I had one in with yoyos, a small pleco, small tetras, and an angelfish so I don't see any issues with that stocking.
Post InfoPosted 21-Dec-2006 21:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tankgrrrl
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 50
Votes: 10
female usa
I had a betta in my community tank once before with SAE's and loaches, and he did beautifully. At first he seemed REALLY terrified and I almost took him out. But once he adjusted, he loved it and swam all over the place!
Good Luck!
~Lauren

Post InfoPosted 21-Dec-2006 21:16Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
I have two free-ranging in my 4' tank, and they are loving it. Providing there is a way for him to rest away from the current (and that the tank isn't a whirlpool) you'll be fine

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 22-Dec-2006 08:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
divertran
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
Sorry I've been out for awhile. Thank you all very much for your positive replies. OH and happy holidays everyone.
Post InfoPosted 23-Dec-2006 22:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
divertran
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
Just an update. I popped him in there this morning, and like you said he's hugging the bottom gettin used to his new home.
Post InfoPosted 01-Jan-2007 20:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
caled
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 44
Votes: 0
male uk
you have *two* free ranging? male and female, 2 females or just 2 very placid males?
I wish i could mix my bettas, but one of them flares at me when I just walk in the room. I think he might be psychotic. He's kept well away from the kitchen utensils, as I have no wish to awake one night with him at the foot of my bed with a knife.
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2007 13:17Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
They are both males.

I was going to be really good and not say anything about what sex they were and just let everyone assume they were female I always worry that people will try it with full-grown pet shop males and it'll end in tears

The two I have are both plakats and I bought them both out of their spawn tanks where they were living with the rest of their siblings (two separate spawns about 3 months apart). I hadn't intended to free-range both at once, and originally I had one pegged as a female, but after a week out in the big tank he sprouted into a lovely little boy. He is a bit of a fraidycat though.

There hasn't been any horseplay, they have made themselves little territories and occasionally they'll swim around together in the neutral zone, but generally they stay out of each other's way.

It is not something I'd try with fish in the prime of their life, but I've had it work a few times with oldies and babies. I do think it has a lot to do with timing, tank layout, if they have spent time alone getting to know their inner self (jarred) and general personality.

If I didn't buy from breeders directly I think I'd be incredibly wary of even putting two females together, as I've had some absolute fruitcakes from pet shops and importers.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2007 17:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
divertran
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
About how long, would ya say, before they start going at it? I had my male in tha same tank (10g) for about a week-10 days with no signs of aggressiveness, in fact they seemed to enjoy the company. I broke them up once I heard they will fight, but I do kinda think he misses her.
Post InfoPosted 04-Jan-2007 10:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
EditedEdited by Callatya
Hmmm, it is really hard to say.

If the temperature drops then you can get in trouble, also if it gets too warm and the air pressure drops then they can get a bit excited and try to breed which often results in fin nicks and body bites.

As I said, putting together pet shop fish in the prime of their life hasn't ever worked out well for me. They seem to be less 'fancy' bred, and unfortunately (fortunately?) that generally means they have a bit more bite. It really isn't something I would encourage if you have the space to separate them.

So... before reading on, please understand that I am not recommending this. I do understand however that people will try it regardless and that going through the 'why' and 'what if' can help make informed decisions about things and save the fish from any injuries

Once you separate fish that have been living together, be the tankmates or spawn siblings, they always have a bone to pick when they see each other again. That is one of the ways you get the 'passion' for breeding, and passion is not something you want if your intention is long term harmony!

I haven't yet had a male outright kill a female (have had a female kill a male though), but they do get a bit full of themselves and take chunks out of fins and worse still the body flesh which can really easily lead to infection and death. I tend to intervene even during breeding if there are any bites to the body or eyes, as these are very agressive moves. If they get it into their heads that their territory needs defending or that they need to put on a display for mating they generally just peck peck peck until the other one is out of options.
Another problem is that one or the other is usually dominant and will get first pick on food, so the submissive one will not only be getting bitten, it will probably not be getting enough to eat. This doesn't do them any favours.
Also, having them in such close quarters can keep them in a 'ready to breed' state, which gets a bit exhausting after a while.

10 gallons is really pushing the limits, and personally I don't think it is a safe plan and could end in massive damage to the fish. Mine are in a well-planted 55 with plenty of other fish to distract them and knock them into line if they try to beat anyone up, and even then I check several times a day to make sure. Never trust a betta!
In a one-on-one or confined situation I imagine even they would have a shot eventually. One on one is very rarely a good plan, even with breeding you tend to grab the female out ASAP.

However, you could create a physical barrier that would allow them to share in the large amount of water and see and 'smell' each other, without the risk of physical injury. The only issue there would be the ready to breed thing, but they usually get over that in a day or so when they realise they can't get to each other.
You could do this with glass, or plastic canvas (from a craft shop).

Post InfoPosted 04-Jan-2007 16:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
divertran
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
I've no real desire to breed them. He just looked lonely there in his tank, so I got a few ottos. Then the wife said he should get a girlfriend. I knew the males fought but I thought that the male female thing would work. But, he's in the community tank now, swimmin around, enjoying himself. I also took the big pot thing from his tank(he lived in it) and put in there with him. The other fish love it and seem to like him as well.
Post InfoPosted 07-Jan-2007 05:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
divertran
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
'Nuther update. All is well, he's adjusting fine swimming around getting to know his new home. I think he's liking it.
Post InfoPosted 12-Jan-2007 10:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
divertran
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
I put him back in the ten, all he was doing in the community tank was hiding behind the heater. He immediately perked back up. On the bright side tho, I put the female in the community tank and she seems to love it.
Post InfoPosted 17-Jan-2007 02:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies