Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeDwarf Gourami just hide
Needeles
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 65
Votes: 52
male usa
Hello, I went 2 days agao and got two Dwarf Gouramis and added them to my tank. I turned the lights off gor the rest of the day to allow for adjustment to the tank. I did turn the light on the next morning and the dwarfs were hiding under 2 different caves I have in the tank. I figured this was normal as it might just take alittle time. It is 2 days later and they are still hiding. Both looked very healthy when I bought them but I can't figure out what is going on. I don't beleive they have eaten in about 2 1/2 days and I am worried they will starve. They are in a 20H tank with the following types of fish..

Pepper Cories
Male Guppy
Bleeding Heart Tetras
Harlequin Rasboras
Painted Glassfish
Pristella Tetras

My water levels are fine and stable and all the other fish are good. Any ideas what could be going on? Should I just give it a couple more days? Thanks

Live life to it's fullest
Who knows what tomorrow holds
Post InfoPosted 28-Jul-2006 04:53Profile PM Edit Report 
Brian1216
-----
Hobbyist
Votes: 0
male usa
Give them more time. It can sometimes take new fish a week or more to feel comfortable in their new surroundings.
Post InfoPosted 28-Jul-2006 05:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I have not had them for many years but whatI do know about then is that are/can be very shy. I also think they prefer their own company. Food will bring them out when they are ready unless there is something in the tank that is too agressive for them.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 28-Jul-2006 08:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
juwel-180
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 212
Votes: 17
male uk
When put in a new tank this fish does take a fair bit of time. One of mine settled in in 4 days and another took over a week. This little fish loves frozen or live blood worms and this will help them to settle in. Do not worrie if they do not eat as this fish can go over a week with out being fed. Even if you are not feeding them they will still get bits from around the tank. Just 1 Q are they male or female

Hope this helps
Post InfoPosted 28-Jul-2006 11:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
illustrae
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 876
female usa
Give them a lot of time. I got a trio of Pearl gouramis over a year ago, and it wasn't until recently that the two females came out from their corner behind the filter.

Hoping that there must be a word for everything I mean...
Post InfoPosted 28-Jul-2006 16:14Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Needeles
----------
Hobbyist
male usa
I beleive they are both males. They are both a light blue color with the strips on them. One is slightly smaller then the other though. Any other way to tell if they are male or female would help?

All the other fish in the tank are smaller then them except the pepper cories which are longer then them. The other fish in the tank are also pretty calm. I have 2 different caves and one is usally in one and the other in the other. Now I have noticed they do go into the same cave at times though, not sure if this matters. I will keep an eye on them and let you know if they decide to start coming out. Thanks for the help.

Post InfoPosted 28-Jul-2006 18:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Needeles
----------
Hobbyist
male usa
Ok so I was doing so looking and think they might be females not males. They have no red on them that I can see. They are a light blueish greay with some strips on them. Also one has decided to start coming out. She was out an about for a bit but when I walked up to the tank she went back to her cave. She did come out alittle later as I was sitting next to the tank. Just wanted to let you all know how things are. Hopefully the other will come out too within the next day or 2.

Post InfoPosted 29-Jul-2006 22:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
gaMMa
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 3
Votes: 1
male saudiarabia
If they are females then they should have slight yellowish stripes, they sound like male powder blue gouramis to me.
Post InfoPosted 30-Jul-2006 18:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Needeles
----------
Hobbyist
male usa
The strips, from what I can see are a purple color. The one is still hiding but the other is coming out alot more.

Post InfoPosted 30-Jul-2006 21:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Needeles
----------
Hobbyist
male usa
Ok just an update. Both seem to have become alittle more at home now. I do see them still hide at times but do come out and swim around the tank now. They both are the same colr but different sizes. The one that is smaller seems to follow the larger around the tank. The smaller one though does seem to hide more often them the larger one. I am thinking about moving them to my other tank as my Gold Barbs may just be to active for them. My other tank has fish that seem to be calm most of the time and it may be better for them.

Post InfoPosted 07-Aug-2006 03:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Budzilla
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 197
Votes: 90
male usa
This is a picture of two of my female neon blue dwarf gourami's
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k82/budzilla_2006/aquarium002.jpg
I hope this helps

-Vincent
Post InfoPosted 08-Aug-2006 03:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
waldena
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 80
Votes: 71
male uk
I may be wrong, but those look like female 'standard' DG's to me, Budzilla.

I've got two female DG's, one 'standard' and one neon blue (I used to have a male neon as well but he sadly passed on), your photo looks much more like my standard DG. The neon blue has the blue colouring pretty much all over the body (which your photo only shows in thin stripes, the main colouring is the silvery grey). A neon blue would probably have the two colours switched on your photo.

I am willing to be corrected, I'm not claiming to be any kind of expert, that's just what I've seen sold and labelled in my LFS's.
Post InfoPosted 09-Aug-2006 22:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Budzilla
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
I mean the standard striped kind. they label them as neon blues at my lfs

-Vincent
Post InfoPosted 09-Aug-2006 23:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Needeles
----------
Hobbyist
male usa
Hey bud that's what both of mine look like. One is alittle smaller then the other but the same colors. So you think they may be females then?

Post InfoPosted 11-Aug-2006 10:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Budzilla
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
if they look like that then they are females. The males have red contrasting stripes and a bright aqua overall color.

-Vincent
Post InfoPosted 11-Aug-2006 22:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies