L# E-Z Breeders!?!?!?
   L# Pages: 1, 2, 3
SubscribeE-Z Breeders!?!?!?
bettadude
Fingerling
Kudos: 15
Votes: 3
usa
hey guys i was going to breed bettas but my parneta said to find something that i dont need to culture worms nd stuff for, so is there any fish the 1 dont need worms for the fry 2 are kinda easy to breed and 3 are fun to breed???? plz reply!!!! XDDD

experience is something you dont get until right after you need it
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2009 01:30Profile PM Edit Report 
ArcticBanana
Fingerling
Kudos: 7
Votes: 4
male usa
Depends on lots of things, what size tank, how much money your willing to spend,your experience with fish, and your own preference. The easiest fish to breed are livebearers, which are mollies,platies,guppies, and a few others. They are almost garenteed(spelled wrong) to make tons of babies, which are easy to care for, and super cute! we can help better with more info!
Good Luck!
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2009 01:51Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
bettadude
Fingerling
usa
i will have a 10 gallon and also i can not have tons of babys as i have no 1 to give them to and also i will only have afew tanks i am willing to spend about 150$ on it lemme no if there is any more info needed.

Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2009 02:06Profile PM Edit Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 285
Votes: 34
male usa
if i was you i would do guppies.you already have a betta so when you decide no more fry, give the fry to the betta as live food. he will enjoy the change and you probably will think its fun to watch him "hunt"
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2009 02:19Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
In a small 10gal tank breding guppies could easily get out of control unless you have a method of getting rid of the fry.
To start of with 2-3FM to 1M is plenty.
Some floating plants are also beneficial to protect the fry from the parents as well.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2009 02:30Profile PM Edit Report 
bettadude
Fingerling
usa
i just told my mom that idea and she said "THATS LIKE IF I HAD KIDS THEN USED ONE OF THEM TO FEEd THE OTHER 2!!!!!" so i guess gupies rnt any good for me...

Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2009 02:36Profile PM Edit Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
most easy breeders will quickly over populate your tank... although you might want to try shrimp... they breed easily in a well planted environment (get a 10gallon tank setup kit, a heater, DW, gravel, a 30$ cherry shrimp order [best on aquabid.com] spend the rest on plants and go crazy!!!!) they are sure to please and are interesting little critters. if not then i would talk to an LFS and see if you can give the fry away as feeders... endlers are also great quick easy breeding fish! might want to look into them... if you keep the tank well planted and the fish in with a betta the population will stay controlled and you will still get some growth...
GOOD LUCK
-Brandon

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2009 02:57Profile PM Edit Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
well most live-bearers eat some of there fry. to tell the truth mine just had fry and ive been watching them chase around the fry for awhile.i count 16, im sure there are more that i missed counting, im also sure there were more to start off with that got eaten, and im also sure some more will get eaten in the days to follow.there really is no way to prevent it, but even still OVERPOPULATION will ensue.if you want things to breed, eventually you need to find a home for the offspring, you cant just have them breeding out of control or the tank will go bad.
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2009 03:37Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Livebearers such as swordtails, platies, guppies, and mollies are among the easiest fish to breed and raise their young. The parents will procreate without any trigger, and the young are large enough to be raised on flake. However, the problem is that because of the ease of this, it is not very profitable at all to breed any of them UNLESS you have a specific breed. Some of the more expensive guppy strains can cost quite a bundle, however these are not the type you can generally buy at your store. Rather, you'd have to find these at specialty fish clubs and auctions of that type.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there are various fry foods on the market, so you may not need to culture worms.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2009 09:35Profile PM Edit Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
i doubt that you would need to culture worms to feed them, thats not the problem.the problem is they are prolific breeders and the tank will go bad because of the fish waste, and bundlle of nitrates.i just had a big female drop 19 last night and there are 2 more VERY pregnant ones, and one fairly pregnant one.after a few batches the parents will get eaten by my owe and the fry will get raised up.
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2009 17:09Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
DeletedPosted 08-Jan-2009 23:28
This post has been deleted
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
problem is not the tank will go bad (like a banana sitting on the counter or three weeks), but rather the nitrates and nitrites will build up and go to deadly levels for the fish. this can be detrimental to the whole population. I would suggest if you plan on breeding seriously that you get a larger tank or find a place to get rid of the fry. if that means population control then feed them to the betta (don't tell mom?) its a natural thing and you can consider it a survival of the fittest routine (the fittest will be smart enough to hide from the 'GREEN NET OF DEATH..."

you cant just breed something and expect the fry to magically be ok in a small tank. ok my suggestion is that you either get a larger tank, get a trio of multis (try breeding them from what i read it easy and i'm sure the LFS will buy the fry) but you should still want a larger tank... multis would get to crowded in a small tank plus they like to have sand (might require to get/make sponge filters or work out an alternative situation...

whatever you do don't impulse buy and rush into it. that's the mistake that many of us made in the past that we had to live with when we lost fish or fry or just never had the deed done no matter what we did to induce it.

Good Luck,
-Brandon

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2009 08:48Profile PM Edit Report 
bettadude
Fingerling
usa
my b-day is in 21 days and for my birthday my dad is gonna buy me a bigger tank probly like 50gallon or more so wat do i do? put the babys in there and let them grow???

Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2009 14:53Profile PM Edit Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
brandeeno, hence the term "going bad"....the tank wont be destroyed, even if a disease or parasite is present the tank can usually be cleaned and will be reuseable with no ill effect, but only if properly cleaned. if the nitrates and nitrites build up and you fish die, your tank went bad, unless you like your fish to die and it went happy for you.also i was dying to say it to but didnt want to be the bad guy.lol, but i would feed them to the betta and not tell mom too. grown up th guppyys in your new 50G, and feed some fry to the betta.
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2009 15:10Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
bettadude
Fingerling
usa
my mom is the kinda person to have me count all the eggs record everything and bla bla bla so i f she saw even just 1 missing she would no i fed them to the betta....so is there anothre way to feed betta fry other then worms??? if so instead of still having like 50 eggs after the first time the male squeezes the eggs out of the female can i immeditatly take out the female to reduce the amount of fry???

Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2009 22:44Profile PM Edit Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
when i first started i wanted to breed some fish and i did it worked out cuz in a diff tank i had it full of cichlids so i had no problem. u just need to know where the fish are gona go....
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2009 23:10Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
no, becuase were will you put the female?if you put her in another tank she will just drop fry there. if your mom got pegnant if you took her out of your house an across the country to a friends house she will still have the baby right? just tell your mom that the mother sometimes eat there young(because live bearers do) and she will never no, then when she makes u get a breeding trap say they swam out the slits in the side(which they will because there often too small for the slits to contain them)
Post InfoPosted 12-Jan-2009 17:59Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
bettadude
Fingerling
usa
but if i am correct the eggs wont be fertalized when they r droped in another tank?.also doesnt the male actually squezze the eggs out of the female?

Post InfoPosted 12-Jan-2009 21:58Profile PM Edit Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
no, and there is no eggs?they are LIVEBEARERS, when the young beared by the female the are ALIVE.dont worry, sooner or later youll have so many fry you mom wont be abe to count them.
Post InfoPosted 13-Jan-2009 01:41Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
bettadude
Fingerling
usa
correct me if im wrong but bettas r labyrnth fish so they lay eggs as ive seen on youtube videos.

Post InfoPosted 13-Jan-2009 02:02Profile PM Edit Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies