SubscribeFemale Bettas
FishKeeperJim
----------
Big Fish
Member MTS Anonymous
Kudos: 208
Votes: 186
male usa
Okay I thought Female Bettas were okay to keep together. Is that just a myth? I put two in a tank and after a while they went after each other. Is there anything I can do to stop this behavior?

mts.gif" border="0"> I vote do you?
My Tanks at Photobucket
Post InfoPosted 10-Oct-2007 05:54Profile Yahoo PM Edit Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
First up, are you absolutely certain you have 2 females and not a female and a male shortfin or two male shortfins? Did you pick the brightest best looking ones in the girl tank? Any chance of a photo?

Females can be every bit as violent as males, and in some cases, even moreso. They will want to sort out a pecking order and they may want to organise territories, so a bit of scrapping is to be expected even with just two girls. a bit of chasing or minor fin nipping is tolerable. As with any bettas, if they go for body bites, try to get the eyeballs or lock jaws, separate. Those are all serious fighting moves and all are designed to inflict major damage.

2 is a bad number IME, as they only have each other to bother. It can be done, but if one has a bee in its bonnet, the other fish just cops it all. Are there other fish there for them to interact with?

Are there defined territories? A bit of wood or a decoration can help mark out a territory (if the girls are that way inclined, some are, some aren't) and once they have drawn that line in the sand you tend to get less scrapping as the less aggressive fish will just keep back.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 10-Oct-2007 06:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Carissa
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 37
Votes: 0
How big is your tank?

And yes they will fight especially if they weren't used to being with other females prior. I just had to put 9 together...lots of brawls for the first half hour but they got over it. Some fin damage but everyone is healing up ok. However with only two fish, if they are in a small space, it may turn out badly for one or the other. If the tank is big enough where one can get away if it wants to, they might work it out ok.
Post InfoPosted 11-Oct-2007 02:49Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
FishKeeperJim
----------
Big Fish
Member MTS Anonymous
Kudos: 208
Votes: 186
male usa
Well because of my original statement that I thought it was okay I had put the two in a 2.5 gallon tank. But after an hour when I noticed the fights I split them up. BTW the 2.5 is split into thirds with two thirds being the male (at least that I know is a male.)

Now they are separated into different tanks the original Female is still in the 2.5 with the other moved into the Platy tank. I'll try and get pics tomorrow for you guys.

Oh and just so you guys know the 2.5 has a 5 watt light, a hob filter and a heater.

mts.gif" border="0"> I vote do you?
My Tanks at Photobucket
Post InfoPosted 11-Oct-2007 03:23Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Carissa
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 37
Votes: 0
EditedEdited by Carissa
It's really hard to say what they might do. A lot depends on their personalities. I had three, and one could get along with the other two, but the other two would fight. However, sometimes they work it out eventually. If they start taking body shots, or lock mouths, it's a bad sign. Otherwise, usually one will eventually give up and then they will get along. They have to establish a pecking order.
Post InfoPosted 12-Oct-2007 02:00Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies