Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeGourami choices
sweet pea
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 39
Votes: 1
female usa
Hello! I recently purchased a 36 gallon Bowfront aquarium. It is up and I just started the cycling process. I am trying to decide what type of Gourami I want.
I really Like the Dwarf, Honey, Pearl and Opaline. The other fish I am thinking of having are

5 fancy Guppy (Male only)
8 Neon Tetra
2 Apisto Borellii
5 Kuhli Loach

Is there one that would be better with those fish or are they all pretty much the same? I really like the Opaline but that aqua advisor site said that opaline gourami may be too agressive for Neons. Is that true?
Thank you again for any advice
Post InfoPosted 08-Mar-2011 00:50Profile PM Edit Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
The only one I'd worry about in terms of aggression is the dwarf. I've found them to vary on a case-by-case basis; some of them are pussycats, some of them are demons. They probably won't mess with the tetras much, but if your guppies could definitely be a target.

Opalines are for the most part okay; I consider them the calmest of all the morphs of blues, but again size could be an issue. A male opaline/blue/gold can hit 6" pretty handily. Again, I think I'd only worry about them with the guppies. An opaline who took a dislike to a fish that size could easily kill it.

Honeys and pearls are both sweethearts (although pearls get to be a decent size, so you could run into future stocking issues). I don't foresee any temperament problems there.

Most of the aggression problems could probably be taken care of with careful planning of plants/decorations. Don't expect any guppy fry to make it if you go with one of the larger gouramis; they'd make a tasty snack. If you're truly worried about aggression issues, stick with honeys or pearls and I think you'll be in tall cotton.

Post InfoPosted 12-Mar-2011 20:45Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies