SubscribeNew Betta Questions
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
We recently welcomed a new veiltail SF into a new 10g cycled tank. We brought Teddy home Sunday, and each evening we've dropped a few Betta pellets but I have only seen him take one once and he ended up spitting it out. I even tried some flakes also, but all he did was stare at the flakes lol.

I am wondering, do they take awhile before they eat?

Also, I noticed that he is starting to spend time lying in a plant or on the bottom behind a rock. He'll go up for a gulp of air from the surface, the back down he goes.... normal? odd??

Thanks!
Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2008 04:36Profile PM Edit Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
nah its fairly normal.. he might be bored. try to get him to flare with a miror and then he might have a heartier appetite... i am no betta expert, but he could also be used to live foods (depending on how old he is and who raised him and how they raised him)... mybe try freeze dried or frozen blood worms... or mybe brine shrimp.

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2008 04:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
My M Betta has never been shy of any foods. I would contact where you bought him to see what they were feeding him. Is there any other fish and water movement in the tank.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2008 08:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
male usa
they had each betta in its own small cell, um cup, lol. Presently I have an AquaClear 20 HOB filter, set quite low to reduce heavy flow since Teddy is the only occupant and I am still working on getting more plants...
Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2008 14:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
EditedEdited by Callatya
If he's not eating and seems mopey (top would be fine, bottom is a little bit worrying) I'd try some bloodworm or brine shrimp. Bloodworm is usually the foolproof food that even the fussy ones will eat.

What brand of pellet and what type of flake are you using? Some are more accepted than others. The size, texture, flavour and meat content all seem to have an impact, as does the competition in the tank.

He has probably had 2 weeks at a wholesaler/in transit and a week or so on the shelves with minimal food, so don't let him hold out for more than about 7-10 days as he's not really in a position to be fasting for too long.

He's not looking clampy or 'flat' is he? Most of them are a bit fussy about foods when they come in and the filtered tank can be quite distressing for them, but even though the behaviour sounds perfectly normal, I just don't want to be missing a different problem. Give him a good inspection for parasites and growths, and at 10 days (or sooner if you can) if he's still not accepting foods, I'd get some frozen bloodworms. Once he's built up his condition a bit, then you can fight the fight over what you want him to eat

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 27-Jan-2008 17:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
platy boy
-----
Banned
Kudos: 74
Votes: 30
male canada
cant help on the eating part but with teddy laying on the plant ya its normal

33 gallon 7 neon tetras-5 platys-3 bleeding heart tetras-2 corys-1 rainbow shark-2 L83 gibby plecos
Post InfoPosted 27-Jan-2008 18:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
male usa
well, in conclusion, we lost Teddy Thursday evening. I had begun melafix/pimafix for a couple days, he developed a red bump on his uper lip and a cloudy eye. I tried bloodworms, they bumped him in the nose and he paid them no mind. I think he had a bacterial infection of some sort.

So, I did a 50% WC and off we go... We'll get another Betta here in a bit. Stuff happens...

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions!
Post InfoPosted 27-Jan-2008 19:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
coltsfan
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 75
Votes: 6
male usa
sorry to hear about teddy, but don't let that put a damper on you rescuing another betta buddy. There are lots of them out there that we need to give good homes to. I'm sure this was also a valuable learning experience that can be useful on your next try! good luck and keep us informed on your next betta friend.....

Justin

Colts Fan For Life
30g platy tank: 2 sunburst wag platys, 2 redtailed white calico platys, 2 red wag platys, 1 fry(not sure who it belongs to), 1 Golden CAE.
Bettas:1 VT male
Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2008 08:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
male usa
well, it just so happens that we went over to the LFS today and grabbed a new Betta, Jack. He's a black and blue crowntail, very handsome. He's floating in his bag in the 10g right now... I cannot wait to see him in the tank! I will get some pics posted to my blog at some point in the future!
Post InfoPosted 03-Feb-2008 02:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
viciouschiapet
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 77
Votes: 15
female usa
Good luck with Jack, Scott!!!

The pottery that growls!
Post InfoPosted 03-Feb-2008 09:25Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
male usa
So far, Jack is looking quite spry, fins a flowing, exploring his new digs. Tonite we'll feed and keep our fingers crossed!

I'll get some pics up soon on my blog.
Post InfoPosted 03-Feb-2008 16:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sora
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 96
Votes: 134
male usa
I hope Jack does great in his new home scott. im glad you got another betta after teddy

The true test of character is not how much we know how to do, but how we behave when we dont know what to do.
Post InfoPosted 04-Feb-2008 04:48Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies