L# New To Bettas
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeNew To Bettas
saceone
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 9
Votes: 0
hi all i have a question about a betta i just bought.i have him in a 2.5 gallon starter tank is that to small for him and also i have no air or filter in there the pet store told me that would be ok if i change 50% water a week i would like a second opinion from this site any suggestions??
Post InfoPosted 09-Sep-2006 20:37Profile PM Edit Report 
Bleeder
---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 50
male singapore
Hi there Saceone,

As much as bettas are supposed to be air breathers, a small tank for any fish makes me very uncomfortable. It is quite ironical that fish shops can call them "starter tanks", when they are really the opposite. The lesser water volume you have, the more unstable your parameters will be.

The ammonia levels can shoot up really quickly as compared to a larger tank. My advice? If you can, spend a bit of dough on a larger tank with proper filtration. Since bettas need to rise to the surface for air occasionally, try not to get a filter that agitates the water surface too much. Those "hanging power" filters should do the job well. Here's an example with the Bio Wheel : http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=12320&N=2004+22769.

With a larger tank, you might even want to consider adding some female bettas into the tank in future. By the way, I have known many folks who have kept bettas, but not one have kept a betta longer than a year in those "starter tanks".

Of course, do not forget the important factor of cycling your tank's water prior. All the best!

Bleeder's Forum
http://silentlucidity.s10.forumsplace.com
Post InfoPosted 09-Sep-2006 21:49Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
*cough* I've kept a betta nearly five years in a 1-gallon bowl. 100% water changes weekly, very faithfully, and a java fern for a little nutrient absorbtion. In something that small for one little fish there's not much point in letting it do a proper cycle.

If you don't put any other fish in that 2.5 gallon tank, and change 50% of the water weekly, and don't overfeed (my bettas get along fine with two Betta Bites pellets each day), you should be fine. If your betta has long fins, adding a filter might actually prove to be a swimming hazard to him.

><>
Post InfoPosted 09-Sep-2006 23:24Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
JTF
----------
Enthusiast
male canada
EditedEdited by JTF
I have been keeping bettas for a couple of years now and have all my males in 2.5 gallons with no filters. I however change 100% of the water weekly, so it may be a good idea to test your water just before you do your 50% to see if it is good or a 100% may be needed. Remove any uneaten food or poop that you see from the tank using a turkey baster as this will keep the water a little better until your water change.
Post InfoPosted 10-Sep-2006 01:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
divertran
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 469
Votes: 165
male usa
Many people, I know, keep bettas in their small tanks, for their own reasons. They will live in them quite some time as they are quite hardy fish and will endure the harsh environment. I say harsh only because, with no substrate, plants, heat or filtration the water conditions may change quite a lot in the span of just one day and the more stable the water the better your fish will be. Sorry, no offense anyone, I keep mine in a heated *Zed tends to be a bit more active at 77 or 78 degrees* 10 gallon tank filtered with an aquaclear mini set to a slow flow. For company he has a nice pair of ottos, and several broad leafed plants and a few caves.
Post InfoPosted 10-Sep-2006 06:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
Not all small tanks lack the things you just mentioned. And the funny thing about keeping bettas in heated tanks is that their metabolism speeds up (hence they're more active) and they tend not to live as long, all other things being equal.

I keep my betta bowls with some form of substrate (small rocks for example) and a plant (still on the lookout for a good java fern for the betta here at school). I wouldn't go for one of the itty bitty bowls (a pint or two that they hold), but a large bowl or small tank is great. They do well by themselves, and most of the varieties you'll come across have such long fins they're a bit "swimming impaired", so having a bunch of space for them to get lost in is frivolous. I know I wouldn't put the betta I have back home in anything bigger than a 5 gallon even if I could put him in anything - because he'd have a torturous time getting to his food at dinner time.

Yes, small tanks are e to instability, but bettas are very hardy against temperature changes and if you feed them properly there really shouldn't be much waste in the tank or bowl to cause water parameters to fluctuate very much.

><>
Post InfoPosted 10-Sep-2006 06:43Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Bleeder
---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 50
male singapore
Many people, I know, keep bettas in their small tanks, for their own reasons. They will live in them quite some time as they are quite hardy fish and will endure the harsh environment. I say harsh only because, with no substrate, plants, heat or filtration the water conditions may change quite a lot in the span of just one day and the more stable the water the better your fish will be.

Well said.

Bleeder's Forum
http://silentlucidity.s10.forumsplace.com
Post InfoPosted 10-Sep-2006 07:51Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
divertran
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 469
Votes: 165
male usa
Actually, he does quite well swimming wise, gets around very well, although when no one is around he does prefer the solitude of his caves. Whenever someone is about, or feeding time he is out and quite active. For a betta anyways.
Post InfoPosted 12-Sep-2006 20:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wahikki
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 4
Votes: 39
female usa
I keep "my brother's" betta (we only say it's his but I do all the water changing and about half the feeding) in a large vase with some marbles and a piece from a large plastic plant and is filled just over half full so he can't jump out. It gets tricky when I change the water because of square net vs. round vase. I'm kind of obsessed with changing the water because I do it every other day, sometimes every day because I forget when I did it last.
Post InfoPosted 24-Sep-2006 23:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Well I am totally the opposite I have only had one Betta tank which can be seen in the Photo Bucket link. I prefer a well planted, with airation heater and filteration.
In the wild their water temp would certainly not be cold being in a semi tropical location.
The latest M Betta (last one had a bacterial/growth problem) loves the company of the Cardinals ans is always swimming in the air streams of the full length air wand.
Just another opinion.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 25-Sep-2006 03:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies