SubscribeNew fish !! Crowntail Betta
~ Nikoleta ~
Fingerling
Kudos: 9
Votes: 4
female usa us-connecticut
EditedEdited 12-Aug-2010 10:25
Hi guys !! Just got a new fish !! Crowntail Betta
I have a few questions ... was wondering if it was ok to keep this fish (I have one) in a 5gallon Eclipse Hex5 tank. (It was a kit) I also added an air stone, and it came equipt with a filtration system, and of course a light ... I'm sure there is plenty of space for this type of fish, but I am worried about the surface area being closed up on top. (This particular tank has 2 lids basically covering the whole top) although I do have an air stone, I am still a bit concerned .. ??? I've read that it was best to keep them in an opened container, with plenty of open surface area for them to breathe - But I'm assuming, maybe they were reffering to keeping this fish in a bowl, instead of a tank set up ?? ~ who knows ..

And also was wondering what type of plants I can put into my tank, I never experimented with plants before, any ideas of what Bettas might like ???
~~~ Thanks !!
Post InfoPosted 12-Aug-2010 10:01Profile PM Edit Report 
hca
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 434
Votes: 211
female usa us-illinois
Its all fine!!! bettas need the surface of the water clear so they can breathe air, having a hood on the tank isnt going to prevent this. BUT if their is to much current, from the filter and airstone, they MIGHT not appreciate it. A 5.5 makes a great betta tank!!
Post InfoPosted 12-Aug-2010 17:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
~ Nikoleta ~
Fingerling
ooooooh thanks !!! Any ideas about the plants ?
Post InfoPosted 12-Aug-2010 17:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
hca
-----
Fish Addict
female usa us-illinois
With the standard light that comes with a 5 gal, you need low light plants.
Java ferns, anubias and java moss will work well for you. You'll want to tie them with cotton thread or fishing line down to a rock or a small piece of drift wood. The moss you can anchor it to the gravel by gently pushing it in here and there, or just let it float.

Bettas also apperciate a lil hiding place. A cave or other decortion that he can get into, and turn around to get out of will work.

make sure everything that goes in his tank is SMOOTH, as they can easily rip there fins. If your not sure, put panty hose on your hand, run it over the object in question, if it snags, fins will rip.

Here's a pict of my recently redone 5.5 gal with least killies and red cherry shrimp- theres a pice of wisteria( seeing how it does in there) in the front of the filter along with hornwort, then the java ferns ( babies) are in the back left, java moss in the front...http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae142/hollyca75/killies/IMG_4419.jpg
Post InfoPosted 13-Aug-2010 00:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Everything hca said was spot on!

With your tank kit, make sure you've got a fluorescent bulb in the light. I cant remember if they're using screw in bulbs on the eclipse tanks now or not But it's important for plants to have 'Daylight' rated bulbs. You can find these in Home Depot/lowes if you're in the US or Bunnings in australia, or most any hardware store. You don't want 'warm white' since those tend to be too yellow.

Also keep the tank covered, but not so full of water that it's touching the cover. Air needs to circulate but bettas are jumpers. I had one disappear out of a nearly totally covered 10 gallon tank. Never did find what happened to him !

^_^

Post InfoPosted 13-Aug-2010 04:17Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
~ Nikoleta ~
Fingerling
EditedEdited 13-Aug-2010 06:19
Lol !!! Thanks guys!! ya, my light in the tank is a 10 watt Flurescent light ... also what I've noticed, I don't think he likes the air stone at all !! I turned it off, do I need to aerate the tank? maybe I'll just go buy a smaller stone???? ... this seems to be a bit much for him ...
Post InfoPosted 13-Aug-2010 06:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
hca
-----
Fish Addict
female usa us-illinois
He may not like the extra current from it, as with all those fins it can be hard to swim. Just leave the air off- he'll be fine without it.

bettas actually come from almost still water with little oxygen in it, which is why they need to breathe from the surface.

some bettas HATE currents- others will play in them... they all have their own unique personalities.

Enjoy yours!!!
Post InfoPosted 13-Aug-2010 06:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
~ Nikoleta ~
Fingerling
Thanks soo much for all your help!!
Post InfoPosted 13-Aug-2010 08:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Agreed, if you have some sort of filtration you don't need an airstone for just a betta. Only one of my tanks is running an airstone and even that tank doesn't need it. It's mainly to help water circulation around the heater, moving the heater closer to the outflow of our filter would work just as well, I've just been lazy !

10w bulb for a 10g tanks fine for some low level plants. A bunch of java fern should make him happy. I had one betta that liked to lay about on the fern leaves .

hcas right about each betta having their own likes and dislikes. Just pay attention to yours when you change stuff around. If he tends to 'sulk' and hide a lot you're probably doing something he doesn't like.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 16-Aug-2010 01:21Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies