Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeParadise Fish
coltsfan
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 75
Votes: 6
male usa
I was at petsmart the other day and saw one of their tanks had paradise fish in there, but on the label it said paradise gourami. Are these the same fish or is there a paradise fish and a paradise gourami?

Justin

Colts Fan For Life
30g platy tank: 2 sunburst wag platys, 2 redtailed white calico platys, 2 red wag platys, 1 fry(not sure who it belongs to), 1 Golden CAE.
Bettas:1 VT male
Post InfoPosted 29-Nov-2007 19:25Profile PM Edit Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
Yep, they're almost certainly the same thing. Every fish I've seen listed as "Paradise Gourami" was a Paradise fish.
Post InfoPosted 29-Nov-2007 20:38Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Paradise Gourami - Macropodus opercularis
Paradise Fish, Paradise Gourami [Pictures]
Macropodus opercularis
SYN: Labrus opercularis, Macropodus concolor, M. filamentosus, M. venustus, Polyacanthus opercularis

I just did a quick Google and came up with this.

Yes it is certainly the same fish.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 30-Nov-2007 02:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
coltsfan
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Thanks for the replies, I was pretty sure they were the same thing but was a little confused when the added gourami to the end of it.

Justin

Colts Fan For Life
30g platy tank: 2 sunburst wag platys, 2 redtailed white calico platys, 2 red wag platys, 1 fry(not sure who it belongs to), 1 Golden CAE.
Post InfoPosted 30-Nov-2007 19:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
coltsfan
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Is owning a paradise fish like owning a betta, do they have the same temperment? Do they work well in the community tank environment? I am interested in maybe adding one, but not sure if it will work....

Justin

Colts Fan For Life
Post InfoPosted 11-Dec-2007 06:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Big E
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 382
Votes: 0
usa
Paradise fish are quite like cichlids in my opinion (I've kept cichlids and labyrinth fish for 25 years now, so I have a lot of experience with both). Some paradise fish are overtly aggressive, some are passive, and some only are aggressive with other males of their own species.

I have 2 (both smaller - one likely a female but it's too soon to tell) in a 33 gallon 36" long tank. Both push around a female dwarf gourami, leave two C. fasciata (giant gouramis) alone, and don't bother their school of cherry barbs. The male does chase the probable female a bit, but no damage so far (about a month now). I've kept them in the past - kept them maybe 5 different times over the years, and only 1 was aggressive to others and that was in a 20 high tank. With 20 longs are bigger I've never had aggression with other fish.

Eric
Post InfoPosted 11-Dec-2007 07:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Two Tanks
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 328
Votes: 13
female usa
I once had one in a 29 gallon community tank. It did not work out and I had to move him to a spare tank. He/she actually began to stalk the other fish, hiding behing plants and decorations and attacking from behind. I don't know if they are all like that, but mine had a nasty temperment. Even bettas can be unpredictable at times. I have never had problems with dwarf gouramis, however.
Post InfoPosted 13-Dec-2007 08:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies