L# Paradise Fish and Platys
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeParadise Fish and Platys
ArcticBanana
Fingerling
Kudos: 7
Votes: 4
male usa
Any problems with these two? Tank would be a 10 gallon, 1 male paradise fish and a breeding trio of platy, maybe 3 or 4 ottos, but probably not. I want the paradise fish to help with fry control. Thanks.
Post InfoPosted 19-Jan-2009 23:03Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
should be fine. my paradise is pretty docile and was kept with endlers and guppies. did very well for population control. 10g might be small for the ottos but maybe a snail or two could help you with the algae problems if thats the worry.

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2009 00:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 285
Votes: 34
male usa
instead of a paradise fish maybe you could try a betta, just my 2 cents
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2009 00:47Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
depends on your preference. they are both very similar. bettas are better in a warmer water but paradise seem to be a bit hardier. I dont know exactly where you live but if it is anywhere near Los Angeles i could give you a paradise.

Bettas are generally cheaper and more plentiful in most areas but a nice paradise would be lovely as well. all about personal preference.

Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2009 01:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 285
Votes: 34
male usa
well, in my experience bettas have been quite hardy.possibly not as hardy as a paradise,but since he has platys chances are the water woud be warm enough for the betta
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2009 03:14Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
ArcticBanana
Fingerling
male usa
Brandeeno, you might be my neighbor! I live in Downey, if you have any idea where that is. And I've had lots of bettas but never a paradis fish, plus my lfs doesnt always carry them so I wanna get one before there gone. Thanks Guys! I should be picking one up later this week, along with 2 platies.
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2009 03:16Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
haha yeah i live in pomona. there is a juvie and an adult with your name on it, but if your LFS doesnt carry them check out walmart... My two local walmarts carry blue paradise fish...

you can have mine for free though, they are in a temporary tank as they werent very nice to the new discus and a 2$ fish vs. a 30+$ fish isnt worth the gamble!

-Brandon

Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2009 03:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ArcticBanana
Fingerling
male usa
Hmmm.. driving an hour each way for one fish that i can get close by? Nothanks, but thank you. I thought they would be mroe peaceful to discus. :/
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2009 04:01Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
ArcticBanana
Fingerling
male usa
Hmmm.. driving an hour each way for one fish that i can get close by? Nothanks, but thank you. I thought they would be mroe peaceful to discus. :/
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2009 04:02Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
EditedEdited by keithgh
Personally I would not think of putting that combination of 4 large fish into a small 10Gal in fact it is not a 10g to start off with it could easily be a 9G or less depending how the tank is set up substrate and DW plus any thing else in the tank.
With the Ottos they should only go into established tanks with a good supply of algae for them.

I would do a lot more research on paradise fish as there are so many of them.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2009 04:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
hmmmm agreed, but if you have a good filter and air with some decorations it would seem to be ok in a 10g just keep the gravel thin (unless doing live plants) and do a good 1/2 gravel vac once a week with your water change.

although if you could up to a 20gallon you fish you love you so much more and be happier!

Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2009 05:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
Paradise fish are fine in a 10 gallon tank keith.
Why dont you go for a pair of paradise fish? Condition them and theyre very easy to breed.
Post InfoPosted 27-Jan-2009 14:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
cichlidaddicted
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 9
Votes: 0
If the male and female get into a disagreement, though, you could end up having a female with no fins.

Honestly, I wouldnt take the chance of putting 2 paradise fish in a tank. I know that the most of the time, they can be rather peaceful fish, but i also know that they can sometimes also be plain nasty.
Post InfoPosted 28-Jan-2009 01:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies