L# Plants for betta tank?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribePlants for betta tank?
Jouerviolin
Small Fry
Kudos: 1
Votes: 0
male usa
Hi, I currently have a 3.7 gallon tank with a betta and a cabomba plant. Is there any other plants that are good for the betta? I'm sure I'll just stick to what I have so far, but anything were to happen to the plant, I'd like to know what else I can use to put in the tank.

Also, should I invest in a light? right now, there is none.
Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2009 20:24Profile PM Edit Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
almost any low light and low maintenance plant will be good. hornwort, dwarf onions, java moss, java fern, etc...

what kind of lighting do you have and does the tank/bowl have a filter?

just a few questions to take into consideration!

-Brandon

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2009 21:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Jouerviolin
Small Fry
male usa
No lighting right now, I'm not quite sure if I should have one. Also, I had bought the tank as a set for goldfish, so there's a Hagen Elite mini filter.

From what an employee said at the aquarium store, I didn't need to do any additional maintenance for the cabomba plant. But I rather not have that plant die on me and then create chaos for my tank.
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2009 00:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
not much you need to do, trim the stems as they grow, when you do a WC rinse them off if they are full of debris, and replant the cuttings as the plant grows... you should be fine they are EASY plants IMO.

Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2009 01:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
EditedEdited by keithgh
It can be a bit difficult to grow plants with out light.
I would stick with what you have at the moment and see how it grows before you make any more plant purchases.

Just as well you did not have a gold fish in that very small tank. If that is the same store who sold you that tank for Goldfish I would be looking for another LFS that info they gave you is totally wrong.
Have a look at what size they can grow to.
Gold fish size

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2009 01:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Jouerviolin
Small Fry
male usa
Hmm, well, my tank seems a bit dim since the top is one solid color (a purplish blue). I guess I can just go for a really small fluorescent lamp.

Wow, that a large goldfish... well, it was one of those goldfish starter kits and it was on sale. Looking around at what was available to me at the time, it was the cheapest for the size.

As for looking for another LFS store... I was just lucky enough to have a friend loan me her car because she was going away for vacation, and that store was the closest one to me. I don't trust them that much anyways, as I'm more of a "research online" guy and the one guy who ask me if I needed help tried to sell me one of those betta death boxes and that they were "easy" maintenance.

If there's any good online aquarium store, I'dlove to know. I don't mind the wait, especially when I'm in school.
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2009 02:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
try

big al's
dr foster and smith
and even petco/petsmart even have good sales on occasion for kits and odds and ends.

Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2009 02:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
I have a male Betta in a 10g, with floating and planted anacharis, wisteria, a small sword, contortion val. I run my tank lites for about 10 hrs a day and the betta gets along very well in this environment. The flaoting anacharis sort of breaks up the direct light, giving the Betta a place to hide, he also likes to sit in the swords, or under their leaves...
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2009 19:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies