SubscribeShort Finned bettas
FishKeeperJim
----------
Big Fish
Member MTS Anonymous
Kudos: 208
Votes: 186
male usa
This is one of those out there questions, but here goes.

How do you tell a male short finned Betta from a Female Betta?

Ok well maybe not to out there.

Thanks.

mts.gif" border="0"> I vote do you?
My Tanks at Photobucket
Post InfoPosted 17-Nov-2007 10:06Profile Yahoo PM Edit Report 
Ferox
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 187
Votes: 28
female australia
Males still have longer fins and often more vibrant colour. Also, the two long fins that come down in front of the ventral fin are much longer in the male. And females have the egg spot.

<Vet in Training>
Blog under development: http://www.nearlydrferox.blogging4life.com/
Post InfoPosted 17-Nov-2007 12:33Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
kitten
----------
Fish Guru
Meow?
Kudos: 2194
Votes: 19
female usa
Not out there at all... this question has been asked and answered numerous times in this forum. Here's one of my own turns as asking: female vs short-finned male.

The picture links are obsolete and unfortunately, I'm on my laptop without access to my pics. You'll have to use your imagination.

Anyway, there's ways to tell, but rarely a sure-fire way.

-Oviposter: white egg spot on the belly, near the pectoral fins on a female (some males may show a white spot though)
-general body shape: female more voluptuous, not as sleek as a male, belly is usually more rounded
-Aggression: generally more ounced in a male, especially short-tailed (there's aggressive females, too!) I've successfully kept a variety of females in different combination in a community tank. The only "female" I've ever had problems with is the fish described in my above link... who was short-finned male!

And here is where my brain fries... I can't think of the other signs offhand. And I've got to run, anyway. Work is calling!

~Meow. Thus spoke the cat.~
Post InfoPosted 17-Nov-2007 20:48Profile Homepage AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
FishKeeperJim
----------
Big Fish
Member MTS Anonymous
male usa
Ok I have looked at the bettas and they both have the white dot. But one has much longer front fins than the other, So I am still at a loss on this so here are some pics for you guys.

Taka

Mariko

Does this help you?

My Tanks at Photobucket
Post InfoPosted 18-Nov-2007 03:20Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Ferox
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 187
Votes: 28
female australia
Taka I would bet on being female.

Mariko could be male. I have a male with an egg spot at the moment, although that's getting smaller. If Mariko's body gets any more coloured, or the fins are still growing, I'd be inclined to treat her as a male. I've heard of long-finend females who are also more likely to be agressive, but I've never seen one.

<Vet in Training>
Blog under development: http://www.nearlydrferox.blogging4life.com/
Post InfoPosted 18-Nov-2007 07:40Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Twilight
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 76
Votes: 92
female canada
One way to tell, most times, is to hold up a small mirror to that the betta can see him/herself. Males flare up, whereas females will look curious or ignor it. Also, when males show off, they flare their gill cover frills, which females don't have. A very knowledgeable breeder on a betta forum taught me that little trick.

I vote! Do you?
Post InfoPosted 19-Nov-2007 05:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FishKeeperJim
----------
Big Fish
Member MTS Anonymous
male usa
Well I am still not quite sure but I am but about 99% sure that Mariko is a male. How I figure? Well sometime last night or today, the divider in the tank came away from the wall and he got into the other side of the tank with Sake (who btw is twice his size.) Well after untold hours in the tank the little guy has no damage at all. Sake on the other hand is missing big chunks out of his fins.

Now here is the wierd thing Sake is flaring all the time, but the little guy just looks at him, doesn't flare at all, just kind of yawns at him.

Do the females attack the males? I guess its possible.

My Tanks at Photobucket
Post InfoPosted 19-Nov-2007 07:36Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
EditedEdited by Callatya
I'm pretty sure they are both girls, you can see the white triangle of eggs through the body.

The top one is a nice little catch! looks to have metallic and rosetail genes somewhere in there, her scales look uneven. The bottom one I'm not certain of, but the body shape is female and the fins look to be VT/CT, and the VT ones are the types where you'd have longer finned females. I agree that they are longer than your average female, but that is about the only thing that would make me think that it might be a juvie boy.

Females can completely trash males, they are every bit as aggressive and if they feel in the mood to fight IME they tend to inflict more damage than males as there isn't as much posturing. Plus there is much more to easily damage on a longfinned male than a female, even if they were equally aggressive, I'd expect the one with longer fins to show more damage.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 19-Nov-2007 16:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies