SubscribeStocking for 30 or 40 gallon tank
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
Hi to all!

I was wondering about the stocking for my new 40 gallon tank i was about to get. I was thinking along the lines of Cardinals, or Neons. Well, i think that that would look nice in a planted tank, but i wanted to have another group of fish, almost as like the stars of the show. I was thinking of 3-5 Pearl Gouramis and 2 moonlight Gouramis. Along with this, i was thinking of having a Dwarf Neon gourami and a BN pleco, along with 4 yoyo loaches. This is the most likely stocking for a 40 gallon. For a 40 i would put in:

12x-14x Cardinals

3x-5x Pearl Gouramis

2x Moonlight Gouramis

1x Dwarf Neon Gourami

1x BN Pleco

4x Yoyo loaches

That may seem like a lot, so i was going to make it a planted tank, with a lot of plants. Do you think it will work? I decided not to get barbs because they will not allow to many other fish, including maybe the gouramis...

Now if i were to get a 30 instead, i would only put in:

8x Cardinals

3x Pearl Gouramis

0-1x Moonlight Gouramis

1x Dwarf Neon Gourami

1x BN Pleco

4x Yoyo loaches

This seems a lot for a 30 gallon too, but i will have a lot of plants! And also, for either tank, i will get an Eheim Ecco 2236. Great filtration, and maybe i might even get a UGF system for the tank...Maybe...

So, any suggestions on anything?

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 18-Nov-2007 10:06Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
For the 40g I would remove the Moonlights, the BN pleco and increase the Dwarf Neon Gourami.

For the 30g I would remove the Moonlights and the Pleco and again increase the Dwarf neon Gourami.

You will want plenty of live plants, and DW.

Opaline Gourami are easier to maintain than the pearl Gourami. The pearls "can" be difficult because of their breeding and handling long before they arrive at the LFS.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 18-Nov-2007 10:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
Ok, i got some kuhlis today, and i am also replacing my stocking choices. Here they are:

1x BN Pleco

5x-8x Kuhli loaches

5x Opaline Gouramis
OR
3x Pearl Gouramis

4x Yoyos

1x Neon Dwarf Gourami

8x-12x Cardinals
OR
8x Bleeding Heart Tetras
OR
10x Zebra Danios

I personally am thinking of removing the Neon Dwarf, and placing it in a (Maybe) new 20 gallon long tank, to replace the 10 gallon downstairs. This would be the "Show" tank, and i think it would be beautiful....If i can get it to work for me!

I like the pearls soo much! They put a serene and calm effect into a tank. Depending on the selection of fish i am getting, i might actually get them...I would then have a serene theme going on. They would be paired up with the Zebra Danios, Kuhlis, YoYos, and the BN.

WHy are they hard to keep Keith? I love the opalines, but it dosent quite spell out serene for me. It seems like it would best be suited for a mystery tank to me, with Odd pieces of DW and petrified wood. That would be nice......

Anyway, thanks for the reply! Any more suggestions?

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 19-Nov-2007 02:16Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies