---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
EditedEdited by mattyboombatty
I got the chance to get a group of 12 juvie cherry reds in trade for some plant clippings last night and decided quite last minute that they would be food for my few surviving rainbows in the 50.

Well it's not planted yet, a little bare bones(Ieven forgot a background, which will be black), but it has the potential. It's probably going to be a lowish light tank with maybe java moss and crypts and stuffs like that. It's just got a small 9w pc light on it right now.

So check it out:

And of course them in the bag last night

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 13-Mar-2007 17:58Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
Very Nice Matty,

and sweet close-up shots of the shrimpsters. Interesting red dotted lines on their sides. I didn't get to see much of mine as they have been eaten by the Apisto

I guess the full body redness comes with age, right?

And yeah, I don't think you gonna win a planted tank contest with this layout and plant mass

Ingo

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 13-Mar-2007 19:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
From what I've heard they get more red the more times they have egg clutches. I'm not sure there's scientific backing on that or anything. But yeah, they are just little guys, they should get redder eventually. I think the guy I got them from estimated they were a month old?

And yeah, I don't think you gonna win a planted tank contest with this layout and plant mass

Shhh...I'm going for the simplistic approach. I've got a winner here

Post InfoPosted 13-Mar-2007 21:35Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 1074
male usa
Nice shrimp tank

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2007 00:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Shhh...I'm going for the simplistic approach. I've got a winner here

Now that you mention it, I can see the resemblance to the Bauhaus style and philosophy

Thanks for the info on the coloration,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2007 14:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
illustrae
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 876
female usa
The tank definitely has potential! I love peralgrass, but I have the worst luck with it. Have you considered adding a crypt or two for variation in color, leafshape, and height?

It does look like you have a bunch of jevniles, and they will get redder with time. Males remain very transparent like they look now, and it's the females that get really red with a broad opaque stripe down their backs. Cherry shrimp often breed with other neocaridina species if given the opportunity, so you might want to ask whoever you got these guys from what he keeps in his tank with them. I kept several different color morphs of shrimp together in my shrimp tank (seems ages ago ) and when I finally took the tank down and sold the shrimp, they had morphed to mostly a very pale color that only sometimes turned red after they had reached full adulthood. I couldn't in good conscience sell them as cherry red shrimp, just "random neocaridina shrimp." I imagine this is the same process by which I got suckered into buying a batch of "rainbow shrimp" that were touted to be any color from pale tan, to brown, to black/blue, to red.

Hoping that there must be a word for everything I mean...
Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2007 16:04Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Have you considered adding a crypt or two for variation in color, leafshape, and height?

I sure have, and they will likely get a nice spot in the tank. I'm sure the pearlgrass won't do too great in the tank and aI already have another tank full of it, so I'm probably not going to use it in there.

And don't worry, the guy I got them only had cherry reds, and the same from who he got them from. I was lucky enough to see his breeding population and there were some REALLY red shrimp in there. I can't wait.

Post InfoPosted 15-Mar-2007 05:24Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
I didn't even know you had this thread!! I will get back to you more when I have time to read through it.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 16-Mar-2007 22:15Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
A couple new pics to share. Seems the shrimpsters aren't too young to be getting some action so to speak, as one of the females is now "saddled" as I've been told. This I beleive means they are just prior to carrying eggs. Here's the best shot I could get. Note the yellow saddle across the back. I know I know....just squint a bit. They are tiny after all.

And here's a little better pic of one coloring up quite a bit more than my last pics. It was also a little closer to me so the pic came out well enough for you to see clearly.

Enjoy

Post InfoPosted 20-Mar-2007 00:10Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
illustrae
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 876
female usa
pretty cool!
From watching my shrimps, way back when, the first couple of egg clutches may end up being duds, or will only produce a few babies. As the shrimps age and grow, the clutch size will also increase giving you more and more babies. You can expect your female to release her clutch in about 2-3 weeks!
How do you feel about java moss (or any of the mosses)? It's a really wonderful medium for baby shrimp to hide out and feel secure, and it traps all kinds of debris for them to feed on. Maybe you could create an Amano-style aquascape just using moss...

Hoping that there must be a word for everything I mean...
Post InfoPosted 20-Mar-2007 15:13Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Thanks illustrae. Good to know so I don't get my hopes too high for a nice first batch of shrimp, though I was already kind of hesitant to think that I'd get any.

Dunno 'bout JUST moss, but I can see a portion of the tank dedicated to the stuff, sure. I might go rip some of it out of the viv tonight, or maybe just grab a new batch when it comes into the store. Probably the latter, I'm not sure what kind of frog defecation might be on there . I'll grab some crypts too I think those two will make up the most of the aquascape. Maybe some petite nana eventually.

Post InfoPosted 20-Mar-2007 22:16Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Oh Oh Matty,

Did you wipe out your image store by any chance?

I cannot see a single picture in this thread, I will go and check your other threads as well now.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 21-Mar-2007 13:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
Ingo, You musta busted something. The pictures are there
and very nice.
Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 21-Mar-2007 18:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Minor Site Issues

A small number of users may be experiencing issues accessing their content. We are aware of the issue and are working to resolve it as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience!

We apologize to those of you who continue to experience a problem. The issue is only affecting a small number of users and is expected to be back to normal today. We truly appreciate your patience and thank you for choosing Photobucket as your online media host.

Frome www.photobucket.com

I'm not too worried though. I have all my pics backed up on my hard drive, but if it loses my pics it'll take hours to load up the 600 some images I had up there and resubmit them on FP. Hopefully it will revert back to normal, but if it doesn't, don't expect images for some time. I don't have that kind of time

Post InfoPosted 21-Mar-2007 19:10Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
So I got a few plants today, some moss, a green wendtii, and a few small wendelov ferns. I'm not super impressed with the pic but it looks better from where I'm sittin. I'm sure I'll have to fuss with it a bit more. So I would like everybody's opinion on it. Here's the pic:

Post InfoPosted 22-Mar-2007 02:47Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
I'd like to see a similiar plant in the right corner.
Other than that, letting what you have grow and fill in
might be an idea.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 22-Mar-2007 08:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Matty,

seems to me like you are trying to force the issue of planting the tank too much. I would take it easy and not worry about layout, color, plants, and what not. After a while you will see where it goes and then you take it from there.

One thing though - I would put the moss higher up. This way it takes longer until it spreads onto the substrate.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 22-Mar-2007 13:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 1074
male usa
I think it will look good once the plants take hold and your start to fine-tune. BTW - If your using this as only a shrimp tank for CRS, I don't think you even need the heater. The CRS tolerate very wide temp swings. In my nanos the CRS did fine through the winter and my house goes below 70 in the winter, although the riccia didn't do as well, so I'm not sure what is the minimum temp for some of these tropical plants is.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 22-Mar-2007 15:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 922
Votes: 69
male usa
CRS can even be left in outdoor ponds going down into the 50's, same with Amanos. As long as the water doesn't dip down below the 60's the plants should be fine as well.

Definitely needs growing in, but I like the look. I think you need more shrimp though.

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 22-Mar-2007 16:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Thanks Frank, I was trying to decide if I wanted to leave the right side open or if I wanted to plant it. If I do plant it, I haven't decided on rocks and moss or something like the crypts on the other side.

. BTW - If your using this as only a shrimp tank for CRS, I don't think you even need the heater.

Well the tank is on a mini fridge and turns on/off every few hours I would say. At least many times a day. I keep the heater on where it stays at the top of these fluctuations, about 78 so that when the fridge kicks on the temp stays stable. If I take the heater out I think the temps would fluctuate a few degrees a number of times per day. I don't like the heater either but when I get a black background I don't think it will matter much.

seems to me like you are trying to force the issue of planting the tank too much.

You thinking I'm taking this contest thing too seriously, or do you think I overplanted the tank? I think you're trying to get in my head . BTW the moss is for the shrimp, so I don't mind if it takes over a bit. I'll scape around it.

Definitely needs growing in, but I like the look. I think you need more shrimp though.

Thanks, I'm working on the more shrimp thing. or maybe I should say they are.

Post InfoPosted 22-Mar-2007 17:21Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies