Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribe74G / 283L Planted Divided Dwarf Cichlid Breeder - Set Up 06.09.07
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 223
Votes: 255
female usa

Beautiful little fish! Nice tank & aquascaping. I especially like that cabinet!
Post InfoPosted 13-Sep-2007 18:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Kudos: 138
Votes: 13
female usa us-massachusetts
Robyn:

very nice set up and incredibly pretty fish! Sorry for my late comment on your new log - I am still preoccupied with discus health issues.

The only comment I have is about the 'white fence' consisting of stones (?). I hope it will be soon covered by plants. Otherwise, I think you did an admirable job setting up this split arrangement.

Claudia
Post InfoPosted 13-Sep-2007 19:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jase101
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 273
Votes: 1
male australia
hey there robyn - i think the tank looks great and once the plants settle in it will be quite an achievement! what are you doing for nesting sites? lovely looking apistos, too - are the agassizis triple reds? from matraville? i have the most incredible looking female triple red at the mo - and last week bought a gorgeous pair of wild-caught a.panduro. so far, stunning!

hope all is well,

justin
Post InfoPosted 14-Sep-2007 09:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
desiredusername
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 99
Votes: 36
male australia
Just an idea, but could u faasten a moss or creeping plant to the eggcrate and create a green wall ?
Post InfoPosted 15-Sep-2007 04:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
EditedEdited by FRANK
Hi,
I think the "green wall" would be really neat, but,
it would cut down on circulation between the two halves
and eventually it would be nil as the wall filled in.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 15-Sep-2007 07:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
Kudos: 83
Votes: 242
male australia
Robyn , Looks fantastic , you've done a wonderfull job . I think the green wall would
look great . But I'm afraid Frank might be right . You could always have 2 filters
I suppose ????
Those Apistos are beautifull fish , are they peacefull in your experience?. I would like
something like them in my small tank . Do they tend to chase smaller fish
( Cardnials, Harleys etc).

Garry

Post InfoPosted 18-Sep-2007 14:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fishmonster
----------
Big Fish
Oh My Heck!
Kudos: 88
Votes: 73
male usa
Im in agreeance with garry on the apistos. I have been wanting them for a very long time but im worried my water chem is not right and im also worried they would terrorise my tank,

However I love how your tank is comming along and I would love to see some updated pictures.

Shane

Thanks for your input as always, Shane
http://thetanklog.blogspot.com/ - [ Thanks to ScottF ]
http://www.natureaquariumclubofutah.com/main.html
Post InfoPosted 19-Sep-2007 07:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
female australia au-newsouthwales
20.09.07 - Week 2

Hi fish patty, thanks for the visit & the compliments

Hi Claudia
The only comment I have is about the 'white fence' consisting of stones (?). I hope it will be soon covered by plants
Yes, did you read earlier in my log. The white stones are only there to mark the spot where riccia covered black stones & hair grass will go (I ran out of riccia during original planting).

Hi Justin
what are you doing for nesting sites?
Do these look familiar? If I remember right, I've stolen the idea from you Don't worry, I've drilled the holes in the rear for water flow.
are the agassizis triple reds? from matraville
No, they came from a hobbyist closing down his tank. The cacs came from Auburn. Hope your new a.panduro pair does well.

Hi desiredusername, I thought about the moss wall from the beginning. I think it would look nice, but eventually stop all water flow between the sides. Shame, as it's a nice idea.

Hi Frank, yes, I think you're right.

Hi Gary,
Those Apistos are beautiful fish , are they peaceful in your experience?. I would like
The cacs in this tank previously lived in my discus community tank. I also have borelli, mcmasteri & kribs in that tank. They all seem to ignore fish who are not apistos (I have harleys in there who are never bothered by them). They all seem to ignore each other too. Except the krib. He ignores the other fish, but picks on apistos. Due to his nastiness, he's taking a trip to LFS soon. Having said that, if they breed things might be different. Also sometimes you can get one with a particularly aggressive nature.

Hi Shane, I guess if you're not happy with your water chemistry, it's best to take care of that first. Once you're happy with it, give them a try.

Now, on with the tank this week.

I have successfully proved that algae can grow with a siesta lighting period

This is what I've battled this week.

As tank is cycling, I wasn't going to watcher change, but the algae changed that plan. The water was emptied half way, the algae scrubbed & removed & Seachem Excel was sprayed on the wall (both sides, the windelov fern & the wood (trying to avoid the Alternanthera reineckii). I've reduced the length of light the 2nd tube is on for. Hope this makes a difference.

I think there is a lot more of the purplish red on the Alternanthera reineckii than when it was first planted, although several stems have floated & needed replanting. Here are a couple more shots. The Alternanthera reineckii on the left half shows stronger red than on the right side. Wonder why?

Still no pearling, ever, in this tank. I see it in the low light 43G - so why not here

The left hand side A.reineckii

The right hand side A.reineckii

Managed to get some additional Blyxa japonica, so it was added to the space waiting for it on right side of tank.

I am seeing runners on the glosso, which I'm happy about. some on the left hand side has died off, but others have runners.

Previous full shot, prior to planting A.reineckii

Full shot, today

That's it for this week.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 20-Sep-2007 15:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Very pretty! The A. reineckii is a great addition. I am surprised that you are having algae problems despite 'siesta', oh well. Apparently there are some algae that can tolerate it, at least temporarily. I don't think the divider this bad, honestly. You've done such a wonderful job with the layout that the sight of the oncovered divider is not a negative (IMHO).
Post InfoPosted 20-Sep-2007 16:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited by TW
It might the ADA. Some have said that you are supposed to fill the tank, & empty it & fill once again. Also that in the first few weeks, more than the usual amount of water changes are required.

As I didn't do that with my other ADA tank (it was low light) I didn't bother to do it here either. I probably should have. Certainly, I think the water in this week's full shot is less green looking than it was in the first week's. I thought it was lights causing the green look, but maybe it was just the need for a water change.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 20-Sep-2007 16:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 1074
male usa
As I didn't do that with my other ADA tank (it was low light) I didn't bother to do it here either. I probably should have. Certainly, I think the water in this weeks full shot is less green looking than it was in the first weeks. I thought it was lights causing the green look, but maybe it was just the need for a water change.

Yep, you need to do daily water changes at least first 10 days or so, with any kind of real light. There is simply too much Ammonia in ADA substrate. I've seen this so many times when people don't do the WC.

Daily Water changes
Lights limited to 6.5/7 hrs first few weeks
Carbon in filter first few weeks

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 20-Sep-2007 16:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Daily Water changes
Carbon in filter first few weeks
Aaah, Jeff so many mistakes then. I haven't gotten any of those things right. Will have to alter my light now & see if I have any carbon pads for the filter. Thanks for popping in with your timely advice.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 20-Sep-2007 17:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
I think that is just a good thing to do in general when dealing with high light. Cuts down on the problems

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 21-Sep-2007 02:50Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
male australia
Robyn , looking fantastic , love the red plant addition . I think Algae will bloom in any new tank .
Its making its hold temporary that the lighting break should fix , if I understand the theory right .
It seems to be having an effect on the level of algae in my tanks so far .

Thanks for the info on the Apistos .

Garry
Post InfoPosted 25-Sep-2007 13:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited by TW
Thanks Wings & Garry for the advice.

This tank went the full cycle of life today. Firstly, I was devastated to come home & find my female cacatuoides dead. There was no warning - she had not been off her food & had been swimming around normally. No indication that she was unwell at all. I've had this pair for quite some time now, but never had a tank for them to be on their own. Sad this happened just after they finally had private accommodation Still, I suppose it may have been the very newness of the tank that caused this upset???

Then, I glanced across to the other half of the tank & one of the female agassizii was surrounded by a small group of free swimming fry. I was caught unprepared & have no brine shrimp hatchery set up & had to rush out tonight. I completely forgot to change the filter to one that is fry safe. Though I've done that now, I can't see either mum or fry - so I hope they haven't all been sucked up the filter. This male & his harem lived in their own tank for nearly twelve months, with no sign of fry.

Pics probably not too clear, but I hope the white spots are recognizable as fry.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 25-Sep-2007 18:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
male australia
Robyn , Thats so sad , my commiserations .On the other hand good news on the fry ,hope you can get some to adulthood .

Garry
Post InfoPosted 26-Sep-2007 03:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fandan
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 43
male australia
well done with the fry robyn. sorry to hear about the apisto loss tho. a bit of a ying-yang in your split tank! (which is looking great by the way)
Post InfoPosted 26-Sep-2007 05:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Any news about the fry, Robyn? I have to admit that I am jealous! Gramps packs away the sweets with his big mouth, shakes his considerable body in front of his egg-heavy girl and - returns to resting in his favorite corner useless, simply useless

On the other hand, my sympathy for the loss of the female. Did you get a replacement to console the widower?

Claudia
Post InfoPosted 30-Sep-2007 06:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
poor old gramps, maybe he has already done his job in times gone past ??

Then again, I would have described this male as useless too. He spent all his time chasing his wives away for the past twelve months, so this is a pleasant surprise. Even more pleasant, the fry are still around. No so pleasant, I think the proud parents may have killed off the spare female. I haven't seen her for several days & last time I saw her she was looking very sad, being harassed & kept away from the food by the proud parents. Either she is in seclusion with her own brood, or they have killed her.

I have never done well in the past with apisto fry, the longest survivors were around 21 days. I've done better with krib fry, and grown them to adulthood, so fingers crossed here.

No new wife for the widower on the other half of the tank as yet. Been too busy with the African tank & the very beginnings of the new Discus tank, but will start looking for his new wife soon.

Nothing very much happened otherwise in the tank this week. The fluffy algae is still reoccurring, but is less than it was. The glosso is spreading, but I think not growing as well as it should & maybe reaching taller than I'd like. Maybe this is due to the lighting still only being 6 hrs in total a day. Not yet game to increase the lighting hours, until the algae is more under control. the riccia, too has not taken off as I'd like it to. But I recall it took off slowly in previous tanks as well.

That's it for today.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 02-Oct-2007 13:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited by TW
Tank is into it's 5th week & I continue to battle this ugly messy hairy algae, even with the reduced lighting & split lighting session. I forgot to take a picture of the mess, before I did maintenance yesterday & cleaned it all off. For now, the tank is algae free.

Filtration may be a problem, maybe the filter on one side isn't really able to do it's proper job. The fine mesh on the grid (needed to prevent fry visiting wrong side of tank) also stops anything from the left side ever reaching the filter intake on the right side.

Other issue is with filter spray bar positioned on short right hand wall & pointed directly towards left half of tank, unsightly debris (plant bits & pieces mostly) is pushed into the grid & catches in the mesh. Takes ages to pick the pieces out with tweezers.

Long story short, each half will now have it's own cannister filter. Spray bar repositioned on the back wall (in each half) pointing towards the front.

I hope this helps.

On the fish front, the RH side still has agassizii fry. Thought the spare female had been killed off, but she is still there. I can see if she is killed, it will be by the dominant female.

One the left side, I gave the cac a new wife, but sadly she died within a few days. For the time being, he remains a widower.

I hope to have pictures to share when I have conquered this horrible algae. Or, if it it returns by next week, I'll post a pic of the horrible mess.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 13-Oct-2007 06:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Tank has just past it's 8th week since set up. Been a few issues, so unfortunately, much will change here as soon as I get the energy to implement. Here are the issues:-

* hair algae is improving - not completely defeated.

* One oto squeezed into the space between the front edge of divider & tank glass front. To get him out, had to slide divider upwards. Substrate caved in towards centre & divider no longer sits on tank's glass bottom - now sits on the substrate - so divider stuck up above tank's lids.

* 4 days after water change, noticed one female Agassizi not looking good. Closer inspection saw both the male Cacatuoides & male Agassizi dead Seems the heater had been off since water change All but 1 fry dead too. A week later, females are back to normal, but so upset for such a stupid mistake.

* the fine mesh in the divider is a trap for all the debris you find in a planted tank. Keeping it clean is hard work.

* Found the last surviving fry jambed into the same space as the oto - so the divider is now removed.

I think I have 2 choices, both involve emptying the tank to some degree:-
Option 1 Get a more tightly fitting divider, so no room for fish to squeeze through. Then almost empty the tank & using some sort of straight edge to separate the substrate into the 2 tank half's, slide the more tightly fitting divider back into place so it again rests on glass bottom.

Option 2, which I favour, will be to have a more permanent glass divider made to suit. Completely empty the tank, rehousing plants & remaining fish for a week or two. Slide the new glass divider into place, seal in place with aquarium safe silicon & after this has cured, set the tank back up.

I already have 2 filters running on the tank & the C02 is running on a split line, with C02 entering at both ends of the tank. The only other issue is a new heater will be needed, as water will no longer transfer between the two tanks.

Thinking back, I would now only use mesh divider in either a non planted tank, or one with plants like anubia, java fern etc.

Now I just have to find the energy to do it

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 03-Nov-2007 13:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
What a mess, I am so sorry. your fish were so beautiful and such a nice set up.

What about leaving the holes open without mesh or are the big enough to allow the parents to swim through? A discus breeder I talked to uses such set ups quite successfully with the fry of both pairs swiming back and forth. On the other hand it is possible that the different species are compulsive about their fry and pick out slightly different looking ones? I don't know.

I sincerely hope that you recover soon from these losses and start setting up your new projects

Claudia
Post InfoPosted 04-Nov-2007 07:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
TW,

Sorry to hear about all of the issues and loses! It is never fun when that type of thing happens.

My vote is for option II. I think that making it into two different tanks would make your life much simpler. The only down fall is that it would be less stable than the large tank.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 04-Nov-2007 15:41Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
fandan
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 43
male australia
sorry to hear your having a hard time of it robyn i thought it would be so cool. couldnt you run one filter with the in in one half and out in the other and vice versa with the other with a glass divider? or is that too complicated. i suppose it is unless they are the same filter brand. actually i dont know my brain is pickling just thinking about it. good luck with what you decide to do
Post InfoPosted 08-Nov-2007 13:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
male australia
Hello Robyn ,Sorry for your losses, don't be too hard on yourself . We all make mistakes
like that from time to time . We are all human .
Sorry your innovation didn't quite work out . Like you I thought it all sounded good in
theory.I would vote for option 1 , only because I'd like to see the tank work as you
designed it . But if its going to be too much trouble then option 2 will be the way to go .

Anyway , which ever way you go I'm sure you will do a great job and have the tank looking great.

Look forward to seeing the results when you decide what your going to do .

Chin Up

Garry
Post InfoPosted 08-Nov-2007 15:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited by TW
What about leaving the holes open without mesh or are the big enough to allow the parents to swim through?
Hi Claudia. Think my female apistos would get through for sure.
Sorry to hear about all of the issues and loses! It is never fun when that type of thing happens.
Thanks Wings - appreciated.
couldnt you run one filter with the in in one half and out in the other and vice versa with the other with a glass divider?
Well I guess I could, & it would solve the issue of one expensive UV system, but 2 tanks. Sterilised water pumps from one filter into one side, to be drawn out into the other filter & then into the other tank. Just need time & energy to change the hoses around & set up the UV.
Hello Robyn ,Sorry for your losses, don't be too hard on yourself . We all make mistakes
Thanks Garry. Bad luck fish wise continues for this tank. I preordered a pair of dwarf african riverine cichlids. They never even made it to the LFS tanks, they came straight from customs quarantine to me. Male had sunken belly & swollen anus. The female was gasping. Thought male would be first to die, but female died within 1-2 days & the male is hanging in there, but it is a matter of time. Won't eat & just lays close to bottom, not moving much He's in quarantine, but the pair were destined for the empty side of this tank). Tried metro, prazzi, Big L & something else & nothing works. I'm still looking for a male double red aggie for the 2 lonley ladies on the other side - seems there's none in Sydney at the moment.

Anyway, lunch break at work now, so no pics.

Found the reason the baby fish & oto could swim between the divider. When measuring from front to back, the grid was at least 1cm too short, as well as being a little too narrow. Went back to the tank maker, who suggested to fix the problem, I could jam a piece of aquarium hosing in the back grove, to fill in the 1cm gap where it is too short. If not for a planted tank, might have done that - but there's still the issue of all those tiny pieces of plant trimmings & riccia that get caught in the netting covering the grid. So high maitenance to keep clean. Non planted tank - great, planted tank, a nightmare. Anyway, he cut me a piece of 10ml thick glass, only just fractionally shorter than the tank from front to back. He did a direct swap (kept the mesh divider & gave me the glass) which was a nice surprise.

The glass is in place & I'm much happier with how the tank looks, except that I can't get the glass flush on the bottom of the tank, as the gravel all slides down. All my carefully created levels are mucked up & the glass divider sticks up above the tank lids by a couple of cm's. Doesn't really bother me so much. If ever I have the energy to pull the tank down, I'll do something about it. For now, it's fine.

I'll try to share some pics soon.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 13-Dec-2007 05:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DaMossMan
----------
Fish Guru
Piranha Bait
Kudos: 2117
Votes: 359
male canada ca-ontario
Hi Robyn,

I'm sorry to hear of your fish loss, but best of luck with your new riverines.

Very unique tank I love the left side with that driftwood I've been wanting that ADA Amazonia for awhile makes the red flourite look garish by comparison.

The Amazon Nut...
Post InfoPosted 15-Dec-2007 04:24Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited by TW
20.12.07: Week 15

Hi DaMossMan, thanks for kind words.

I'll let the pictures tell the story in this post.

Here's a shot showing how the new glass divider sticks up above the tank. (Refer my last post for reason.)

Front on, full shot. Small white riccia covered rocks are gone. Replaced by lava rock, covered with riccia

Side shot, through both tank halves. Glass almost unnoticeable, especially when comparied to the previous grid / mesh divider.

Left hand Tank Pictures

Left side new resident are a pair of Pelvicachromis taeniatus "Nigerian Red". The P.T.Dehanes never made it out of quarantine, so this pair are the replacements.

Right hand Tank Pictures

The lonely widows of the right side tank

Last shot, whole tank, both halves, angled view

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 19-Dec-2007 16:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
I like the new glass divider Robyn. Looks great. The plants are really healthy looking as well. Nice work!

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 19-Dec-2007 17:17Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
tanks are looking great!

the scape is wonderful and the plants are extremely healthy looking!

i hope you the best of luck with the occupants as i know that new fish are always a hassle!

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 20-Dec-2007 01:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
EditedEdited by catdancer
Hi Robyn:

So glad to see an update on your projects (hint: what about the discus set up? ) I really have to compliment you on this set up and love the plants (a plant list, even a brief one would be greatly appreciated). Particularly envy you the healthy growth of ferns .

Both sides are very tasteful and the red instead of the white stones are a big improvement IMHO. I hope your bad streak fishwise is over and you will sho us some fry soon!

Claudia
Post InfoPosted 20-Dec-2007 05:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
TW,

That looks pretty darn good! I hope the glass works better for you.

The plants are also looking really good too. All seems healthy.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 21-Dec-2007 16:34Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
DaMossMan
----------
Fish Guru
Piranha Bait
Kudos: 2117
Votes: 359
male canada ca-ontario
Best of luck with your Pelvicachromis taeniatus
Your plants look SOOOOOOOO nice and green !

The Amazon Nut...
Post InfoPosted 21-Dec-2007 19:00Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
Robyn,

Remember me? LOL

Hey, as you are getting more and more into breeding and I am getting less and less into fish at all, our ways are not crossing that often anymore.

I like what you did with the scape, creating a continuous scape through the divided halfs. The best shot, IMHO, is the one labeled "Side shot, through both tank halves." followed by the last shot showing both halfs together. Once the foreground rocks grow over some more it will look like a very nice scape.

Too bad you have to use it for breeding fishies

Just kidding, of course,

Merry X-Mas,

Ingo

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 24-Dec-2007 16:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Hi LF, thanks for dropping by.
Too bad you have to use it for breeding fishies
LOL Well, nothing much happens at the moment. It's more of a planted tank, with unco-operative fish in it. The male aggi I transferred from my old 90G, finally decided to get to work on the task with one of his 2 girls after I transferred them to this tank. Then I forgot to turn the heater back on after maintenance (naturally during winter) & the male & the babies died. I have a new male now, as of a couple of weeks - but no action yet. Nothing on the other side either, although plenty of flirting.

Wings & DaMossMan, thanks for popping by. Wings, the glass divider is sooo much better. DaMossMan, my Pelvicachromis taeniatus are so shy, I never saw them - or at least not more than a quick glance. If they happened to be out & about when I walk past, they dived into the greenery, never to be seen. LFS suggested adding another trio of the same fish. Was nervous of turf wars, but it all seems to be working out & at least I can actually see some fish on that side of the tank now.

I'll share some plant pictures soon, once I have a bit of time.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 13-Feb-2008 14:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fishmonster
----------
Big Fish
Oh My Heck!
Kudos: 88
Votes: 73
male usa
Robyn

Just trying to catch up on everyones logs, looks like you have been going through some woes. But im glad you seem to have it under control somewhat for now. As of mine well they are out of control and I think im in for a re-scape of the tanks.

Fish are doing well in the 35 gallon and I just added an algae team to try and clean it up.

Shane

Thanks for your input as always, Shane
http://thetanklog.blogspot.com/ - [ Thanks to ScottF ]
http://www.natureaquariumclubofutah.com/main.html
Post InfoPosted 16-Feb-2008 23:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited by TW
Hi Shane, thanks for the visit

Just a few quick & blurry shots of the inhabitants of the left hand side of the divided tank

pt.nigerian red girls hanging out

1 of the males, with one of the females

Last one, one of the males with 2 of hte girls

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 06-Mar-2008 14:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
It's been a while, so here'a a fresh picture.

The crypt field in the front is new & needs to fill out quite a bit more. It's a bit lost looking at the moment.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 02-Jun-2008 16:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
TW,

Your slow growers are very nice looking. Very thick! I can't wait for the crypts to grow in.

This tank(s)is very hard for me to look at as they are really two tanks next to each other.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 12-Jun-2008 14:10Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
This tank(s)is very hard for me to look at as they are really two tanks next to each other.
If I could do it all over again, it would be two tanks. Still side by side on the stand - but completely separate. The only reason I did it like this, was so it would be one heater & one filter (less electricity). Now each half has it's own filter & heater anyway, so not much point anymore.

Oh well.

Sorry it's a bit distracting this way. At one stage I had more of a continual theme happening in there, but gradually things changed around.

When I fill up the 7ft tank, I will try to make the two halfs blend together more. At the moment, it has plants destined to removed to the 7ft - so things aren't really as they should be. But I think you are right, that it will always really be two tanks. When I look at, I do tend to look at each half as it's own complete little world.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 13-Jun-2008 16:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies