L# Adding plants 'Help'
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeAdding plants 'Help'
cashwellspent

Fingerling
Votes: 20
male usa
EditedEdited 15-Aug-2010 20:47
80 gal tank, has 4 28w bulbs, 2 are 10,000k and 2 are Actinic blue, FW community tank with a Eheim 2017 canister filter, 80f, pea size gravel 2" thick.
The tank sits in front of a large window, it's facing north with a roof over it (no direct light) it does get light from outside as well as the 4 florescent bulbs.
Will the outside light help in my formula? the lighting is on a timer for 12 hours of on time.
Thank you for your time. Joe

Attached Image:
Post InfoPosted 15-Aug-2010 20:28Profile PM Edit Report 
hca
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 434
Votes: 211
female usa us-illinois
80 gal tanks are fairly DEEP/ tall, which means you can put tons of light on them, but that light isnt as strong down at the BOTTOM of the tank which is where your plants will need it at the beginning.

I suggest you start off with low to med-low light plants.
Java fern, cryptocorns, mosses,Apons, anubias do well in low light.These are slow growing, but very hardy plants. Just dont move the crypts around to much- they like to be planted and not disturbed.

I have never personally had success growing anything except algeas with indirect sunlight.

I do suggest you do some research on plants before going and buying some, as MANY pet shops will sell bog plants as aquatics, but when you get them home, they will die as only the ROOTS are meant to be submerges, not the WHOLE plant.

http://www.azgardens.com/p-128-easy-life-aquarium-plant-habitat-for-50-to-60-gallon.aspx

This is a good example of low light , easy to care for variety of plants that dont require alot of special stuff!!

When going to look at a local store- write down the scientific and common names,before you leave home, so that you dont get fooled into buying a bog plant with a weird but aquatic sounding name.....

Post InfoPosted 15-Aug-2010 23:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
If I'm not mistaken, the actinic bulbs aren't doing anything but promoting algal growth.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 16-Aug-2010 11:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
hca
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 434
Votes: 211
female usa us-illinois
Yeah, and i think lower light is the way to go on that tank, and adding a background to prevent the added algea growth that seems to come from window lighting.

I've bought from AAG before- but shipping is a killer... But that link is a good list to give you an idea of what would possible work and how much of what you'd need. The site itself gives good photos and basic plant info.
Post InfoPosted 16-Aug-2010 19:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
cashwellspent

Fingerling
Votes: 20
male usa
Thank you so much for your help, FP's members are so fast in lending a hand, I try to read past posts on all categories, I have learned stuff i wouldn't even think to ask...

I know your time is very valuable to you and your families, it's nice to know that you are willing to help someone you don't even know.
Thank you again Joe.
Post InfoPosted 16-Aug-2010 20:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
hey, just wanted to see if anything had come of your tank?
I do have some suggestions:
first dump the acintic bulbs. they are for salt water... you are going to want some 6,500K bulbs. I would say dump the 10000K ones too but why waste the money? just use them til the go out.

Next visit aquabid.com there are terrific deals on plants and sometimes you can hit it right and get free shipping. I also suggest checking out the seller bayleesfishees because he offers some killer deals on plants. 25$ for like 13 plants is dirt cheap and that includes shipping.

Also what type of gravel do you have? you might want to look into getting some type of fertilizer tablet or liquid to aid the plant growth.

Crypts and Java Ferns are great, just stick them somewhere and leave them. Don't touch them and they grow in amazingly!

Best of Luck,
-Brandon

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 29-Sep-2010 00:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
EditedEdited 29-Sep-2010 23:41
Frank may be able to correct me if I'm wrong, but I've read in plenty of places that while a fluorescent is still functioning to our eyes, after 6 months to a year it's not putting out the same way for the plants. Unfortunately this would mean replacing all the bulbs on planted tanks every 6 months to a year, bad for the environment (especially if they are not recycled properly) bad for the pocket.

The actinic should definitely be replaced, have a look around any hardware store, you may find the right fitting and length bulb in daylight (6,500K) and that would be best for the plants.
The window is going to cause trouble, daylight makes for algae growth, usually green water. We have two tanks upstairs in the living room, one gets morning sun the other gets none. Guess which one gets more frequent water changes to battle the green water

Stick with low light plants, especially ones that simply tie onto driftwood (java fern java moss, anubias, or hornwort) will not need to be messed around with too much and should grow without too much hassle. Hornwort will help clear up any excess nitrate issues but can reduce them too much to the point you actually have to start dosing nitrate (finding powdered nitrates in this day and age is just asking for an FBI background check )
Heavier root feeders like swords will need plenty of nutrients in the substrate, as well as higher light, co2 and possibly dosing of nutrients.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 29-Sep-2010 23:39Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies