Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeAlgea eating team?
coop
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 60
Votes: 2
male australia
i have a 55G planted tank and so far my algea eating team consists of a bushynose cat. i dont have much room to play with but i would like to build up my algea eating team to cover more diferent types of algea(i dont have a huge algea problem,i just dont want to) especially BBA.
any suggestions? i was thinking of getting sum amano shrimp and another kind of algea eating fish.

by the way the fish i have in this tank cosists of pearl gouramis, black neons, blue rams and angelfish.
Post InfoPosted 14-Jan-2007 09:35Profile PM Edit Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
I would suggest amano shrimp if it weren't for the angels. They'll probably eat your shrimp. I guess I'd recommend a siamese algae eater, and maybe a few otos.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 15-Jan-2007 16:46Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
BGKF1
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 3
Votes: 0
male australia
EditedEdited by BGKF1
I recommend you try a group of 4-5 Oto's (Otocinclus catfish). The best Algae eaters around and grow to about ~2 inches
Post InfoPosted 15-Jan-2007 16:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
coop
-----
Enthusiast
male australia

ok thanx today im gonna get a SAE and ill ask if they can order in sum otos(dont often find them around here).

ill put some amanos in the 20G im setting up, with dwarf gouramis and harlequins.
Post InfoPosted 16-Jan-2007 01:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
You might want to rethink the SAE. Sometimes, they will
eat algae, but only while small and young. When they grow
they will be right in the thick of things when you feed
your fish, and can become a behavior problem when older.
Stick with the Otto's.
Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 16-Jan-2007 01:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jase101
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 273
Votes: 1
male australia
the other alternative is sturisoma panamense, the royal whiptail. gorgeous, talented algae eater, and a bit exotic. you can get young ones from about 25 bucks each, through to adults at 35 - 50 bucks. well worth a look.
Post InfoPosted 16-Jan-2007 10:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
So_Very_Sneaky
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2272
Votes: 201
female canada
Frank, I think you are thinking of the CAE, chinese algae eater. I have 2 large adult Siamese algae eaters, who still devour algae with glee. They are the 2nd best algae eater out there, and Ive tried many.

My thoughts are, a pair of SAE, as these are social fish, keeping in mind that they grow to be about 5-6 inches.

Ottos in my experience, dont eat much algae except the soft green stuff, and wont touch any others. They also dont keep a tank clean. My sister has 9 of them in her 33g and the tank is still covered in algae.

The best algae eater out there is the Farlowella catfish, or twig catfish, however, the bristlenose pleco will outcompete this shy, retiring fish for food, and it will likely starve to death. They will not compete for food.

My thought it is the SAEs would be your best bet.

Other good algae eating options:
Mollies
Limia
Florida Flagfish
Another Bristlenose

Come Play Yahtzee With Me!
http://games.atari.com
Http://www.myleague.com/yahtgames
Post InfoPosted 16-Jan-2007 22:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
coop
-----
Enthusiast
male australia

ive already bought a SAE and may buy another one. hes already cleaned all the algea of the smaller leaved plants and the milfoil s looking heaps better. he schools with the black neons when he isnt eating.. i think its coz they look similar withthe black stripe. a also think i will get another BN. we cant get ottos around hear anyway. i had mollies in there before and nothing happened soi didnt feed for nearly a week and still no progress so i put them in my 30G.
Post InfoPosted 17-Jan-2007 05:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 922
Votes: 69
male usa
true SAEs are just about the only thing in the hobby that will eat BBA. Otos and BNs aren't equipped to eat it, and Amanos won't eat anything other than tiny bits of it that we can't even see. They won't eat it once it gets going.

SAEs do grow to around 6 inches with a streamlined torpedo shaped body. They're active as well.

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 17-Jan-2007 16:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
lowlight
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 94
male usa us-california
I have 2 SAE in my 55. They are great at taking care of the BBA in my tank and very social. They are about 2 1/2 inches long.
Post InfoPosted 18-Jan-2007 08:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
coop
-----
Enthusiast
male australia
EditedEdited by coop
i have 4 angelfish in this tank and im selling 2 of them to make room, and money, for another BN($35 for a large male) and SAE. the SAE i have is bout 5cm and is just gettimg started on the BBA on the anubias(theres to much for the little fella to tackle by himself)
Post InfoPosted 18-Jan-2007 09:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
lowlight
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 94
male usa us-california
Give him time. He can do it or get one more. You will notice the BBA disapearing over time.
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2007 09:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
leoslizards
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 1
Votes: 0
Hi, I am in desperate need of SAE's. Preferably in Miami Florida. I called about 30 LFS and no one seems to carry them. I was only able to find them online but the site has a minimum order amount and that'll cost me over $80.00. I just need 2 or 3. If anyone here lives in Miami FL. and are willing to sell me some of yours or know of a LFS that sells them, please let me know a.s.a.p. Thanks.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebIndex/saes.htm
Post InfoPosted 01-Feb-2007 01:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
djrichie
----------
Big Fish
Rough but Honest [img]htt
Kudos: 309
Votes: 45
male usa
EditedEdited by djrichie
House of fins on US1 And SW 142 had them last night
You can always go to Big Als Superstore they are will stocked. Not the online store but the store Ft. Lauderdale

Djrichie
"So Long, and Thanks For All The Fish" Douglas Adams
Post InfoPosted 01-Feb-2007 17:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies