SubscribeAlgea on plants
mughal113
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 160
Votes: 64
male pakistan
Hi all,
Well, this time its like dark brown mud accumulating just at the starting point of anubius leaves. By that i mean the portion of the leaf where the lemina starts, just over the mid rib. And it is expanding over the mid rib very slowly. I think its algea. Need your expert opinion on what that is and how to eliminate that.
Post InfoPosted 16-Sep-2006 20:45Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
Dark brown mud is a possible description of a outbreak of
diatoms. Often called "Brown Algae" they are actually
animals with a skeleton made of Silica. They frequently
occur in newly set up tanks, particularly those that have
regular gravel which is rich in silicate dust. Some water
supplies also compound the problem by producing water that
has a large amount of silica in it.
Low light, little or no current, and high silica will
provide a banquet for the diatoms. Some fish love them
and will gorge themselves on the critters (diatoms).

Water changes, and a filter set to provide some current
throughout the tank will cause them to eventually
disappear.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 16-Sep-2006 23:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Adding to what excellent infomation Frank has given you can you add extra airation this will certainly help to get the water moving in the tank.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 17-Sep-2006 06:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mughal113
----------
Big Fish
male pakistan
EditedEdited by mughal113
Hi,
The tank is well lit. The plants are doing great. The internal filter is rated at 1200lph are has quite a strong current. The two uplift tubes of the UGF provide quite a bit of surface agetation and thus aeration.
But yes, I have sand as substrate I think thats the source of high silica and all the problem.
I have tried doing a bit of researh on this "thing" but couldn't find much detail. Is it harmful for the plants or the fish (Other than being visibly disagreeable?)
My loaches do quite a bit of digging and disturb the sand a lot. Is it adding to the problem? Till now, i only thought of this behavior being useful as it kept the sand from compactng.
Thanks.
Post InfoPosted 17-Sep-2006 11:55Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
mughal113
----------
Big Fish
male pakistan
And yes, another question. Is this outbreak a sign of possible nutrient deficiency? I never had any algea in my tank and it is planted from the day one. I dont use any fertilizers, just yeast/sugar CO2. I do 30% water changes weekly. Ammonia, nitrites zero, and nitrates always on the lower side.
Post InfoPosted 17-Sep-2006 12:02Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Silica will be in the sand for sure. You will have to find a way to work around the sand or simply replace it completly.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 18-Sep-2006 05:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mughal113
----------
Big Fish
male pakistan
I dont think I'll be able to change the substrate so easily will the those plants. Is there any other way I can handle this out?

Thanks.
Post InfoPosted 18-Sep-2006 13:33Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 1315
male ireland
Keep doing large water changes and removing the brown algae. Eventually the sand will stop leeching silica. The water changes will speed up the process by removing the silica faster. Once the silica level drops the diatoms will burn out, they have a very short lifespan.

Otto's will help greatly on keeping the diatoms under control in the meantime.

Some days you're the pigeon and some days you're the statue.

Remember that age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.
Post InfoPosted 19-Sep-2006 05:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mughal113
----------
Big Fish
male pakistan
That algea has really started affecting my plants now. I saw the roots of anubius covered with that thing The growth of the plants seems to have stopped. I think they they effect the growth by covering the leaves and blocking the light. I am doing larger and more frequent water changes and tomorrow im gonna give the plants a thorough wash. Im gonna try wiping some of that brown mud off by hand but that is not going to be applicable to the plants planted deep inside the gravel..i dont wanna disturb there root system
Its the first time ive encountered any sort of algea and now im beginning to understand why its called an aquarist's nightmare
Post InfoPosted 22-Sep-2006 21:51Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
I don't think you need to go quite that far in your
cleaning process.

Check out this link on "Brown Algae."

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/algae.htm#brown

There are others, some even more scientific, but this
article gives you the crux of the information.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 22-Sep-2006 23:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
Let a team of Otocinclus catfishes loose on your brown algae. They'll demolish it in fairly short order as this is one of their food sources in the wild!

Basically, the key fact to remember at all times is this: if an organism exists, there usually exists another organism that eats it. If you need to control a particular organism (in this case, your brown algae or diatoms) then the best control by far is something that eats it (in this case Otocinclus catfishes). Few motivations for efficiency are greater than the need for food, and thus, if you need a pest controller, the best pest controller is one that treats your pest as lunch! An approach that has begun to take off in a BIG way in marine aquaria incidentally (e.g., the dreaded Aiptasia pest anemones, which are conrtrolled using Berghia nudibranchs) and should be your first port of call with freshwater aquaria too.

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 24-Sep-2006 13:29Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
mughal113
----------
Big Fish
male pakistan
Thanks Frank and Calilasseia,
The article that Frank referred me to also presents Ottos as a cure. To futher complicate the situation, no LFS imports ottos in my area [] The only algea eater Ive got is a common pleco. That has grown quite a bit (around 5 inches now) and has lost its interest in algea. It has some how trained itself to get the pellets from the surface and spends rest of its time taking rest in a cave instead of cleaning algea

But there's a good news as well. Ive been doing larger water changes (30% every other day) as recommended by you fellows, and the situation seems to be improved. The coat 0f brown mud on the leaves seems to be thinner than before. Hope i'll get rid of it in near future...
again, thanks all for the grt support!
Post InfoPosted 24-Sep-2006 20:43Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies