Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeAnubias Info
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 285
Votes: 34
male usa
hi, could i have so info on the anubias, maybe some others experiences, or things that they know that are not in the profile on this page?also how long does it take for an anubias's roots to settle in and imbed into something like DW?
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2009 06:01Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
IME it actually takes quite a long time for Anubias roots to grab on to something. For me, some of the Anubias have taken a few months. I think it's probably much easier for them to grab on to DW then straight rock, though, however I've never tried them on any of my DW pieces.

I've also never kept any big cichlids like oscars, so I'm not sure how they'll take the test of that. However, because of their slow growth, if they start taking damage there's no way for it to regrow quickly enough. Most people say that Anubias are distasteful or unpalatable to herbivorous fish, but someone in my tank (I suspect my royal plec) decided to demolish my collection, and I've since had to save them by moving them out to my other tank. Strangely enough, they had been fine for many months.

Other than that, though, I have found Anubias to be my favorite plants. I actually have five different kinds now!

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2009 09:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
okay. thganks for answering Shini. Also my anubias is in my feeder guppy tank, attached to driftwood.there are plenty of nitrates and i plan on supplementing with tetraflora plant nutrition.But could the tetraflora be harmful to my fry?it says that it is fish safe, but would the iron, and other minerals be in to high a concentration for the little ones?
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2009 17:01Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
As long as you follow the dosing instructions (certainly don't pour the whole bottle in there!) there shouldn't be any problem. I use Kent Freshwater Plant Fertilizer and Kent Pro-Plant in my guppy tanks with no problems.

><>
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2009 20:07Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
ok ill add the recommended dosage then.thanks
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2009 21:57Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
superlion is right. Only a VERY small amount of iron is necessary for plants to grow, but it is still necessary. I'd be more worried about the algal bloom than the iron if you added too much fertilizer.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2009 00:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
ok, i did a small water change tonight to get the nitrate sdown a bit, so that should reduce some of the ferts.
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2009 06:23Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies