AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# Planted Aquaria
  L# Are There Any Plants That A Silver Wont Destroy?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeAre There Any Plants That A Silver Wont Destroy?
Gourami guru
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 3
Votes: 1
male australia
i have got a small tank that i was going to turn into a cichlid tank but i had to sell my silver dollar to do it, but i grown the little begger since he was only like 4 cms long and now hes about 8cm and i cant bear to get rid of him.......(stuff my soft heart)

so im gonna plant it BUT the only problem is that silver dollars eat plants.....eat, DESTROY plants more like it......

so are there any plants that a sliver wont destroy, if soo PLEASE TELL ME!!!!!

(i thing java moss would do alright)

any ways

Gourami Guru
Post InfoPosted 21-Feb-2008 11:54Profile PM Edit Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
I'm not sure if you're going to have much chance with anything other than moss. The other two plants that are defaulted upon in the herbivorous fish situation are Anubias and Java Fern. These two types of plants are distasteful/toxic? to fish, and are generally not eaten. My plec has rasped on the Anubias a bit but doesn't do much to the fern. Might be something to try.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 21-Feb-2008 14:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
I think you're out of luck on this one. Silver dollars are notorious for destroying even the plants we consider too tough or distasteful for fish to eat. If they don't eat it, they seem to shred it, perhaps looking for some edible part. Pothos is a possibility.

And while you're putting the plants they're less likely to shred in the tank, try distracting them with some nice lettuce (well rinsed of course!)

><>
Post InfoPosted 21-Feb-2008 19:31Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
Yeah I must have tried 30 species of plant with them over the years, java fern lasted the longest, but they destroyed everything in the end.
Post InfoPosted 21-Feb-2008 19:33Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
Oh, I forgot to mention:

This is a perfect situation for artificial plants. As much as your dollars may destroy real ones, I'd like to see any fish chew through a plastic leaf. I have plastic plants in my guppy tank. It's right next to a tank with live plants, and it doesn't look too bad.

><>
Post InfoPosted 21-Feb-2008 19:40Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Gourami guru
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 3
Votes: 1
male australia
i never actually thought about leaving him a lettace leaf so he didnt snack on my plants (i think my BN would like it to)

im gonna try a bit of JAva moss (when mines gets big enogh to propergate) and jave fern and anubis (hope full he dosent eat it)

ooo fish tank just truned on there probaly wondering where there blood worm is SEE YA!
Post InfoPosted 21-Feb-2008 23:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies