Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeBRAD'S 20 long setup ( log )
bratyboy2
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 340
Votes: 1
male usa
okay here goes im setting up this 20 long aquarium(duh) and the plan is to make it a river bank feel.

substrate: pool filter sand and a bit of Shultz's aquatic soil from LOWES.

plants: mostly java ferns and anubias nana.

lighting: standared 20 watt bulb (1 watt)

fish: bloodfins...still undisided

any who everyone knows the standard measurments(30"x12"x12"

i have a pic which will be posted soo but i want to know some ideas so i can make it look like Wings, LF, and Tetras.
Bensaf i know your looking i would really like some advice from you too...

Post InfoPosted 21-Jul-2006 19:28Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Report 
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 1315
male ireland
The 20 gal long is very difficult to scape. The 12" width and height is a killer. The riverbank look is about the only way to make it work. Plant and hardscape choice will be critical.

Just some general tips:
Forget about stem plants - 12" height = too much trimming.

Stick to Anubias, Crpyts, Mosses and certain ferns.

For ferns I'd only use Wendelov or Narrow Leaf.

Tennellus or Sags would be good background or highlight plants.
If you have the light and Co2 Blyxa Japonica is perfect.

Only use driftwood that is thin and branchy - no nig lumps of bogwood.

For a real river bank look keep the foreground pretty empty and unplanted. Use the wood by having some the branches jut out and resting on the empty foreground to create a natural bank look. Rocks should be in front and slightly supporting the wood.Having the wood just out and the plants behind the wood will help create depth in such a narrow tank.

Rocks should all be the same type and color.

Arrange the hardscape first and work the plants around it.

Arrange and group the plants carefully. Have different heights. Avoid a wall of plants at the back. You need to make the tank look taller and deeper then it actually is.

Use brighter green of Tenellus, blyxa or green varieties of crypts to highlight the darker green of the Anubias , mosses and ferns.

Some days you're the pigeon and some days you're the statue.

Remember that age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.
Post InfoPosted 22-Jul-2006 04:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bratyboy2
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 340
Votes: 1
male usa
wow um okay well forget what i did then i have a some what med sized branch if you would liek to say in there and i have java ferns on it. behind it it has crypt balasae growing somewhat slow. i have green crypts in the forground(wendtii?) and have a small somewhat bushy start of red tiger lotus. i just delt with a ich break out but am still prolly going to take everything out and completly do this.
im going to suck out the sand/soil stuff out and just place pure sand. the put rocks like tetratech did and cover most with moss(java and maybe riccia if i can find it ) so theres my plans ill keep you informed
Post InfoPosted 28-Jul-2006 18:18Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies