SubscribeBulbs From The Store
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
EditedEdited by GobyFan2007
Are the bulbs from walmart any good? I just purchased one, and i want to grow some. Any experiences?

EDIT-They are the apongeton bulbs.

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 23-Mar-2007 03:32Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
I've never gotten those myself, but have heard that most have success with their apon bulbs. Common apons don't have many needs, but Make sure you at least give them fluorescent light in the 6500K range. Most will do well in even low light, but will do best in medium (2ish wpg) or better.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 23-Mar-2007 03:38Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
aquapickle27
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 98
Votes: 55
male usa
I have planted several of these bulbs. I put them in a tank with about 2/3 of a watt per gallon lighting. They grew to get quite large. They are very fast growing plants (once or if they sprout). They are green plants that usually start by growing leaves straight from the seed bulb thing, but later on they grow stems to the mid level of the tank and the surface. When you are waiting for them to sprout, just put them in the tank (don't bury them until it's obvious which way is up and down). They tend to shed leaves as they mature, and i usually remove or pluck them. They do sprout flowers; the stem extends to the surface, then the end will split into two strands of flower. I have had them reach up to almost two inches long and had two flowers at a time.

In my experience they did well in even less than 1 wpg. I didn't add any supplements or Co2. They are very easy plants to keep, and as you can see don't require much.

Thats about it.

I have a picture of the plant when it is pretty much fully grown ( it is about 1 year old )

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f250/aquapickle27/LukesFishTank001.jpg

†Aquapickle†
Post InfoPosted 23-Mar-2007 04:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
agent_orange
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 77
Votes: 31
male usa
If you like the plants they are great. I have found 2 different kinds they stock at the walmart araound here, although I don't remember what they were. I have a little under 2 wpg and don't have co2 or add fertilizer. One has lost all its leaves and I thought it was dead but it ended up regrowing another plant.

One of the bulbs types recently started sending lilies to the top, which were about 4 inches across at its widest. It has a red/green color to it and triangular leaves.
Not the best picture, but shows some of the red in the leaves
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g230/spooke03/1.jpg
Here are 3 lilies
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g230/spooke03/3.jpg
The main leaves
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g230/spooke03/2.jpg

The other type I have is green and has lond broad leaves. It has sent a lily and something I would assume is for a flower. It hasn't made any flowers and this one does get quite big.
The taller plant on the left(pardon the small chain sword and other sword on the right)
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g230/spooke03/4.jpg

What does that mean, Bob? "Till the cows come home." Where have the cows been?
Post InfoPosted 24-Mar-2007 04:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
lioness
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 55
female usa
Squeeze the bulbs to make sure you don't have any bad ones. A squisy bulb won't grow. Often those packages have a dud or two. The first time I grew these plants was in a 5 gal betta tank under one incandescent bulb which was only on a few hours a day. They grew like weeds and covered the top of the tank with lily pads. I got little flowers from them several times. They are a messy plant and may require pruning as they get big but they aren't picky about conditions and they grow fast. If you don't want to start them in your main tank you can just put them in a glass of tank water and wait until they sprout and start rooting. Then just transfer them where you want them in the tank. Don't bury the bulb completely. Good luck. They are interesting plants!
Post InfoPosted 26-Mar-2007 17:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
I planted a whole tank in several packs of those once. I only had about 1 or 2 that failed to grow for every 10 I planted. Throw them in the tank, wait a couple days, and then test if they are squishy or turning black. Check them every few days for any that might be going bad until they start to grow. Also any that are still floating after a week never seem to sprout no matter how long you wait. Otherwise sometimes they can sit around for a few months before sprouting so if they are still firm, normal brownish color, and not floating try just setting them in a different area of the tank especially with more light. They may still sprout. After they start to sprout wait until you can tell the difference between the root and leaves and move them to where you want them to grow. Shove them down in the gravel a little so the root is covered and the top of the bulb with the stem and leaves coming out of it is still slightly uncovered. They'll grow until they reach the top of your tank. If you want them thicker and bushier instead of growing to the top then a few times a week cut off the tallest leaves and any flower shoots they send toward the surface.
Post InfoPosted 27-Mar-2007 00:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
des_sniper
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 42
Votes: 11
male usa
The "Hardy Aponogetens" are a hybrid, dont remember off the top of my head of which ones, The are grow great in anytank. In my opinion, the lower the wattage the better. I guess too much light intensity burns them. I know it will with Madagascar Aponos.

Hint: As soon as the bulb start to FLOWER, cut the stem off the stalk. Other wise, it seems that the plant will die back a bit if not.

I have been semi-successful in breeding new plants. It is something them seem to do all to themselves with out our help.

Good Luck!

"There is also a Clown Pleco in this tank some where. I am telling you, HE IS IN HERE."
Post InfoPosted 28-Mar-2007 05:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies