AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# Planted Aquaria
  L# C. walkeri - am I going to kill it??
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeC. walkeri - am I going to kill it??
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
I've always found crypts quite unkillable. I had a box of one type that I picked up years ago, and I kept them in a sealed plastic box full of water for about 8 months. They melted a bit, resprouted and now are going great guns in a tank that belongs to my parents. (I plan on pinching a bit back )

I went to a killifish meeting tonight, and I managed to win a little pot of C. walkeri. When it happened, I then got told that they are not easy to grow and that they melt really easily and so on and so forth.I know a lot of people have trouble with crypt melt, but I've never really had it to any great extent, so I was just curious how others found this plant.

As crypts go, is it any more difficult?
Anything I should be trying to do for it?

I had planned on putting it in my 12" cube on the kitchen window as plants seem to rather like that tank, but it only has indirect sunlight. Will that be enough/too much? Should I get some sort of root fertiliser, or leave it in the pot, or try the soil & gravel style substrate? Is it pH sensitive?

It looks quite good, but possibly a little deficient in something or other as the leaf edges and centres are paler (pinkish?) on the older leaves. Very nice plant though, it is quite the looker!

I am determined that it should live and thrive, so any help you could offer would be great

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 14-Feb-2009 17:14Profile PM Edit Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
I would go ahead and plant them in your favored tank as
you were thinking.

Try this site for Crypts:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~crypts/Cryptocoryne/index.html

This should help..
Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 14-Feb-2009 17:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
one of my crypts is in fact walkeri, i didnt have any problems with it... I planted the roots in my bayfront tank and ferted daily as my other crypts and plants would also like the ferts... It is doing great. the original leaves grew taller and it has started sprouting around the bottom new chutes and leaves. And I have had it less than a month. I had absolutley no melt. So I must have gotten a good one!

you shouldnt have any problems as long as it gets enough light and has plenty of ferts to support its growth.

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 14-Feb-2009 19:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I have moved my Crypts more times than I can remember in the 45 lt tank and I have never had a melt down. It could be a combination of several things, the deep substrate, 3-4ins feeding every day (Seachem liquid ferts) and Seachem plant pellets, plus the pre planting treatment they get.

As soon as I received them direct from the grower in Darwin they were trimmed of any damaged leaves or roots and about 10%+ trimmed of the tips of the roots this makes the plant send out new side root shoots. Then I float them for at least 2 weeks. You will notice that the leaves will curl under dont panic. When I am ready to plant I try to protect the roots as much as possible with my fingers.
Now for the good and bad news Good first I only have two varieties that are compatible (extremely important) and the Bad news for you is if you plant it too close to a non compatible Crypt the stronger will take over and actually kill the weaker plant. Frank posted some details about this not far back the reason why and how it happens.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 15-Feb-2009 02:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Ahhh, so perhaps I need to ID the other species then

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 15-Feb-2009 11:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
EditedEdited by Callatya
Ok, well it is de-rockwooled and planted, so fingers crossed!

I just looked through that site Frank linked to, and the other crypt I have is a C. wendtii (got it at auction in 03, had forgotten what it was called til I saw the name pop up). Are the two incompatible? They seem to be from the same general area.

Post InfoPosted 15-Feb-2009 16:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Just make sure that they are far apart enough so that their roots dont cross this when the problem "can" occur. I have two varieties as I mentioned and they are some growing only mm apart.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 16-Feb-2009 04:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
All is going well. The plants were grown emersed so there are some leaf colour issues, but otherwise things are good. I got myself a lovely new pot the other day to fill out the other side of the tank, and am considering getting a few other species for other tanks also. I'd forgotten how much I liked my crypts!

Post InfoPosted 22-Apr-2009 04:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
I'd wondered how the experiment was going. Great news!
Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 22-Apr-2009 11:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies