Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeCan Java fern float?
desiredusername
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 99
Votes: 36
male australia
i bought some Java fern for my 16 gal community tank today.
The first bunch was put into part of the driftwood, while the other bunch is just floating around for the time being.

Can java fern survive and grow while floating, or does it need to be attached to something?
Post InfoPosted 15-Sep-2007 09:58Profile PM Edit Report 
clownloachfan
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 850
Votes: 115
male usa us-pennsylvania
you should attatch it to something. Either wood or stone. I find that if you just let java fern float, it stays small and the leaves are difformed. It usually finds some place on its own to anchor if you just let it float. Alot of times it is the filter intake.
Post InfoPosted 15-Sep-2007 15:52Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
desiredusername
-----
Enthusiast
male australia
can i use rubber rands to attach it to driftwood?
Post InfoPosted 16-Sep-2007 00:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
EditedEdited by sham
It doesn't really grow but can survive indefinitely while floating around. Usually eventually gets stuck to the filter intake causing problems.

Rubberbands work ok but if it's too small and you really have to stretch it then it will cut into the plant. Also they breakdown in water so eventually they will come apart. Hopefully your plant has grown before then and you remove the rubberband when it comes apart. I had a tetra swallow some floating rubberband chunks. Surprisingly despite the chunks being rather large it never showed any health issues and lived a couple more years. I usually use nylon string or fishing line.
Post InfoPosted 16-Sep-2007 00:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I prefer to tie it to DW rather than rocks it seems to grow better. As it is a slow grower I only use 15lb nylon fishing line then remove it when the plant has got a good hold.

You question yes it will float that is how it naturally propergates its self the little top plantlets break off and drift around until they find a new host to grow on. I have one piece of Serrated Java Fern growing on the DW in the Betta tank a plantlet broke of and attached its self to a rough edge on the DW and it is now growing strong. In fact I often see the Betta underneath it like an umbrella.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 16-Sep-2007 04:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
desiredusername
-----
Enthusiast
male australia
as u guys predicted it floated around for a few days, and ten attached itself to the driftwood. Shame it attached itself sideways
Post InfoPosted 17-Sep-2007 13:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies